Jynx's SECA

Custom XJ builds, restorations, major modifications or just a topic dedicted to your own bike. Look here for long term cool projects.
Jynx
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Alright, so I picked this up locally last night for $300. The guy said it hasn't run since he parked it 8 years ago, and hasn't been tagged since then either. No battery, but he had it hooked up to a car to show me that it turns over. It does crank, and he said it sparks but he didn't have the time to dig deeper and fix it. The oil in it is still flowing, and aside from being insanely dirty, it seems to be in great condition. It has 28k+ on it, and I'm not really sure where to start with this thing. I have a few ideas in mind of what to do with it, but I'm still undecided on paint and whether to keep the fairing or go for a naked/streetfighter look. I would like to get a different windscreen if I'm going to use one, and I would love some flush mount turn signals. Right now I've only got a few pictures, and they aren't very detailed at all as they were taken on the fly from my phone.

He said he had cleaned the carbs, but I plan on going through them anyway to be sure. There is also lots of rat gifts under the seat, and will definitely need to be cleaned. It did sit for 8 years, so I'm not sure why I thought it would be clean. What I can tell so far is that the seat will need to be reupholstered or covered in some way (Duct Tape), the kickstand and center stand need to be cleaned so they are easier to set, the gauges have broken loose and will need to be replaced, the gas tank will most definitely need to be degreased for at least a full day, if not more. Lucky for me I work at a dealership and some of the mechanics know how to work on bikes. :thumbsup:

Being as there is fecal matter, it has been suggested that I get it rewired, or at least inspect all the wiring. I was just thinking I'd get it running decently and then take it to an actual shop to get it looked over.

Overall, I guess I'm just looking for a place to start on my "restoration" project. Still not sure what my future plans are for it, but I've got to get it running first, then go from there. Any and all help is very much appreciated. :help:

This topic has 12 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login