My story from no license up to today PIC HEAVY ESSAY

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
hahadumball
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

So i decided i should bore you all with a thread about my times as a motorcyclist from start to finish, the good times and bad.

It all started when i was around 14 so around 7 years ago, id always liked bikes and finaly i owned my first, my dad went out and bought me a py 90, my first ever real geared bike, used this to learn to ride and went on from there..

py 90.

I then decided to buy something for a bit of street fun so purchased an old mini moto 50cc to play with, living in a village the nearest real shop was about 4 miles away so this became transport to the shop, me and a friend modified it and stretched the rear to enable a passenger to be taken, 2 up on a midi moto was kind of fun!

mini moto.

I then got rid of this and got hold of a little 110 xsport pitbike which we used to race around woods all day nearly every day untill one day the law caught up and confiscated it for riding it illegaly :(

xsport.

Time went by without a bike untill around may 2009 i got told by a friend that the local church where doing a motorcycle course which could get me a cbt, i was 17 so id already missed a year of riding but i decided to go for it, weekly meetings for 8 weeks on a wednesday and cbt day finaly came, turned up jumped on a ybr125 and passed. came home happy as a pig in shit knowing i can now legaly ride... now its time to buy a bike so i went out and purchased all i could afford as an unemployed student...

A 2006 chitume ctm 125 aka chinese cg copy, this bike was amazing! £200 just had its first mot, insurance was about £290 for the year which was pretty pricey, but i enjoyed it, was going fine untill it got hard to change gear one day so i headed for home only to get about 2 miles off home and the engine siezed :( sold for £300 spares or repair done deal!.

chituma ctm 125.

Time to replace the ctm with something new, a friend mentioned he knew someone selling a bike so i instantly agreed to look, it was a circa 94 sr 125 £250 i took it.

hanging around with some friends i did a little off roading on it but it wasn't built for it so i made it.

got some longer rear shocks more suited to it, changed the rear tyre to an 18" iirc and stuck an off road tyre on it, raised the front about 3" and changed the sprockets to suit, bike was amazing!!

had this for about 6 months till i got bored and wanted something else so off it went to its new home.

sr125.

Time again to change bikes, my uncle had a bike he was working on, all i knew is it was a 100cc 2 stroke, my first 2 stroke maybe?

so i went to have a look, it wasn't what i expected but i had a little go and it was pretty nice, light weight and had a little guts so i parted with £100 and took it a nice old yamaha yb 100, no tax or mot, last taxed about 9 years before i bought it.

Took it the next day to get an mot it rode a little slow on the way there, failed on no rear reflector mot station stuck one on then passed it after, Brilliant!! so the ride home..

got about a mile from the mot station when it started to go horribly wrong, it was being choked by something, loosing speed rapidly, pulled over and inspected to find my air filter was probably the first one ever put in the thing, falling apart and being sucked into the engine, so off it came and tried again but still struggling more, pulled over once again to look deeper, my exhaust was full of slightly burnt air filter foam, so off came the exhaust and away i went, i only had to ride another 3 miles but 3 miles of 2 stroke with no end can or air filter was deafening.

got home got it stripped and finaly fixed it, was going great untill a 60 mile non stop trip my oil pump packed up and the engine siezed, sold it for the same as i payed and went on a hunt for a new bike.

yb 100.

The feel of a 2 stroke got me wanting more, so i went looking for another, strolling round a boot fair one day i spotted it, a honda ns125 r with a for sale sign next to it, spoke to the owner gave some info and he delivered it the next day, it was a sorry sight, it looked as if it had been painted with dulux and a paint brush, that was the first thing to be sorted, a complete strip of the fairings back to the plastic and a respray.
This thing had about 3 layers of odd paint on it so took me days to get it back to the plastic but eventually i got there, after a few rattle cans and some polish i got it looking beautiful, a nice shiny black that you could see your face in!

A month down the line it started to develope issues, the first being headlight bulbs blowing every day which i finaly sorted only to find more issues, when i got the bike it didn't have a 1st gear as the box was ruined but i was given a spare bottom end which id planned to put on whenever i needed to, it was fine as it was except some hill starts in 2nd.

got more into the bike when one day it decided it no longer liked the piston and decided to see hwo many parts it could turn itself into, siezed and ruined.

Had to do a whole top end rebuild so whilst i was there i decided to switch the bottom ends around and have a 1st gear.
the bike ran so smooth it was beautiful, covered so many miles and never let me down, went through one chain and one set of brake pads but eventually started to develope bottom end issues that i just didnt have time nor money for so up for sale or swap it went.

As i got it.

the finished bike.

The piston after it decided it no longer wanted to live.

a guy call me up about a swap, he had a 125cc off road bike, he was a bit vague about it but i told him to come down and we will look at eachothers bikes and he liked what he saw and i was quite pulled to his bike as i enjoy off roading a lot so i ended up swapping my ns125 for a gy 125 chinese off roader but this rivaled the rest, this actually worked and didn't die!
The exhaust internals where ripped out so it sounded like a big 500 single, this thing did me well, so much off roading was done with no issues wasn't fast nor comfortable but it worked and it went for a fair few months untill i got bored and wanted something bigger!

gy125 in a puddle a few weeks after owning it.

By now my 2 years where up so cbt was rebooked and off i went on my chinese off road bike, cash handed over few hours later back home i went with another 2 years still wanting something bigger, so theory test is booked!.

theory test was a failure i failed by 1 point and was dissapointed but it didn't stop me, i carried on with my chinese off roader having fun and booked another theory... DOH! failed by 1 point again.. instant rebook and try again!

Theory #3.. aced it! felt so great i got home and booked my mod 1 and being given a date only 8 days from when i booked it!!

By now my bike was starting to fall apart, my sprocket cover was broken due to the chain coming off after a large jump and my wheel bearings where getting pretty shot so i asked a friend whos part of the local church if i may borrow a bike to which he said yes and off i went...

id been riding my chinese off roader with 1 up 4 down for about 6-7 months.. i picked up my friends bike on my way to my mod 1, it was an xr 125.. gearing totaly different i had 10 miles ride to the test centre to get used to it *gulp* but it went brilliantly, passed no minors happy i went home!

mod 2 booked and i was nervous as hell as this was on the road, once again picked up friends bike but this time was worse, i had real road riding and not used to the gears again but i went ahead and it was going good, one or 2 mishaps where id gone into a corner and changed down gear instead of up which was pretty scary but i carried on, got to the end and.. I failed :( hesitating too long on a roundabout and not sat in the correct lane position, not put down i rebooked else where in a location i knew better and went at it.

Passed!! perfect marks no problems, got my certificate and ripped my L plates off, took an extra 20 miles to get home just to go on a motorway legaly!.

Big bike time!
After searching i found a few big bikes and had a look, i was persuaded to part with £400 for a honda bros 400, it was small, economical and had tax + mot so perfect for a first big bike for me, got on brilliantly with it, it eventually tore a hole in one of the carb diaphrams which was a massive pain but i fixed it with a condom and rubber glue, the first fix lasted about 400 miles before going on a motorway leaving me unable to hit more than 60mph meaning a very boring 80 mile ride back!

bodged again and this time it saw the bike through 2000+ miles untill i decided to sell it.

bros 400.

Bit of a detour.

Bros now sold for £800 im ready to buy something bigger and more suited as the bros was too small for me let alone 2 up, phoned a local bike shop and went and had a look at what he had, i knew id pay a bit over the top going there but ive used the shop for plenty of parts and work so i thought why not, had a look and not much there other than a 1999 xj 600n with a stubby can, it was a bit of a mess needed a tank respray which i wasn't too bothered about as i knew at some point ill probably bin it, but he pulled it out got it started and it sounded nice, had a little go it was great, no tax or mot but £600 he would stick 12 months mot on for me and help me out with tyres and parts, so i parted with the cash and off i went. the bike went great, no issues with it, i didn't even do an oil change in the whole time id owned it, going great untill one day in a bit of a mood i went a wee bit too fast on a bend and locked up the rear causing me to hit a curb and fly, came out of it with a broken ankle, tib + fib and a sore neck, bike had a bent front disc, scraped the exhaust and scratched side panel.. not bad!

The mending process took me around 5 months before i could walk with the aid of a support boot which sucked! moved house now and had a huge workshop to work in which helped, finally able to take my own weight on my damaged leg i set about fixing my bike, a friend of mine had a spare disc laying around parted with £5 and the disc was mine, exhaust wasn't an issue, carbon fibre stubby just cut 3 inches off it and re-rivted it back together job done! bikes now ready.

after almost 6 months i can finaly ride! rode it to work the day id got it all sorted and it was pretty scary after not riding for so long but i soon started to enjoy it.. but the enjoyment was short lived.

2 days of being back on the road i went to see my other half, parked outside hers for around 20 minutes when i heard a massive crash outside, i ran to the window to see my bike on its side with a rover parked on it... SHIT!..

open and shut insurance case he admited liability and i was given a hire bike..

horrible cbf 600... not sure if it was dead when i got it but i would get 25 miles to the gallon if i was lucky... i soon phoned my insurance company asking them to take it back and bring my xj back as soon as they could.

the cbf 600.

After a few days i got a call with news of a cat c write off and they offered me £300 and my bike back so i accepted and checked the damage out.

Got it back and it wasn't that bad, blowtorch on sidestand to bend it back out, new rear left fairing.. which i was ordering at my other halfs house at the time it got damaged... tape on the speedo and a new indicator, good as new and just in time for the bike chat forums bbq.

Less than 7 days after it got written off my xj was back on the road and doing a 220 mile trip to oxfordshire for a bbq and it didn't miss a beat!
id then got the oppertunity to purchase an xj 600s with no tax or mot but £100! so i took it, total work that needed to be done was, new chain, new rear sprocket and and mot.. sorted! £400 later it was sold!

As i got my xj.

Some knee down fun on the xj.

The write off.

The bbq

xj 600s number 2.

After much fun i got bored, not enough power its lost all its fun so up for sale it went and within 2 days it was sold for £550 leaving me £550 to look for a new bike.

After scouting round and putting the word out i heard of someone selling a zxr 750h1, looked it up and i was impressed, went to look at it and was told it was bought as a donor bike but wasn't used, it had been sat up in their shed and they didn't know if it ran so they said they will deliver it and sell it to me for what they paid, less than £400 can't go wrong really.

It was sorry sight it definately needed some work but i had plenty of free time so i agreed and it was now mine!!

As it looked on the trailer ready to be delivered.

After copious ammounts of playing and messing around rebuilding carbs and such it finaly runs and idles!!
After more polish and tlc its shiny and clean and such a dream to ride!!

2 months down the line disaster struck, i didn't notice the oil filter which sits above the belly pan was a little loose, slowly emptying the oil without me knowing... on a ride back from work it lost power and started to rattle.. its dead :(

took the top end off but i lost enthusiasm.. checked ebay and id found someone selling a streetfightered zxr 750h1.. with a running engine so i started to bid and planned to use the engine but after picking it up i decided against it, i didn't have time nor the enthusiasm to do an engine change so i stuck it up for sale.

sold it for £301 and off to its new home it went.

As it looked after all my hard work and polish.

So now im the owner of a zxr 750 h1 streetfighter.. a mess.
So streetfightered, dominator headlights, no fairing, modified subframe with an r6 tail end, small numberplate with led lights, led indicators and a stubby exhaust.. sounded nice but had so many issues i was looking to get rid fairly soon.

had a couple of people look but they where more interested in making it look original which would be a mamoth task so they walked away so i decided to just keep it.

within a month of ownership we got hit by a random snow shower whilst i was on my way to check on my grandad... the roads where clear maybe a little wet from the melted snow so no real worries, untill i came over the brow of a hill and by then it was too late, i was on top of a snow drift across both lanes stretching for atleast 50 meters down the road, i hoped for the best but it was hopeless, the front end went and threw me off, sliding down the road into the oncoming lane heading for a car sliding down the snow drift like me.. unable to stop.

Finaly got stopped and it bloody hurt! got myself up quickly and dragged my bike out the road, luckily a police car was coming down the road and gave me a lift home. 2 days later i picked it up and left it out the back in the snow and stuck it up for sale, id had enough and couldn't be bothered, someone came and looked took it for the same as i payed and it was finaly gone.

The zxr 750 h1 streetfighter the day i got it.

New bike time, after all my past experience and loss ive made from buying lemons i went back to what i can trust, got on ebay looking for an xj 600 s and found one close by, £300 winning bid i took it, lovely bike with no issues, rode it home and loving every minute, never let me down untill it decided to snap the chain and rip my indicator off.. but thats only a small issue, quickly fixed its still my day to day transport, endulged in a trackday at lydden to see how it faired up on the track and i was impressed, a little slow but it coped well.

current xj 600s.

bit of mud fun.

At lydden race track.

some knee down.

And thats how i stand at the moment.

Sorry to rabbit on but thats my story from no license up to today.

This topic has 14 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login