Project Scrambler *Picture heavy*

Custom XJ builds, restorations, major modifications or just a topic dedicted to your own bike. Look here for long term cool projects.
Kanten
XJOTM May 2013
XJOTM May 2013

The amount of images finally caught up to me, so I'd better make a project thread.

I started with this stock XJ 600 N from 2000, in very good shape. I wanted something reliable and easy, but the XJ still lacked a bit of charm and personality for my taste. This is where the scrambler comes into play, as I've always had a thing for mean looking off-roaders. It's not going to be used offroad very much, I just simply love the "ruggedness" of it.

So I did a quick photoshop version of what I wanted to do

The XJ got stored away for winter, and it's only recently that I've been able to work on it.
I started with new indicators + relay, handlebars, bar-end mirror and a rock guard on the headlight

Next up was the common 650R/ER6 rear shock swap. I got one from Germany that was unused, at a very nice price.
Here's the stance

Then came my Leo Vince exhaust with a matching 2-1 link pipe (so I have a 4-2-1 exhaust system)
This is before the can came on, and I really love the way this looks!! Wish I could keep it like that :)

And on with the can, that I've chopped a bit and painted.
It has a nice sound to it, but crackles/tiny pops a bit if I accelerate hard and then lay off the gas. Is that a sign of running lean or rich?

Then I had my new dual-sport tires mounted, after a lot of trouble finding tires that would fit the original rims. I ended up with Heidenau K73 on the front and K60 (with a tube in it) on the rear.

Gave it a good rubbin'

Got creative with a pen

And mounted my bikini-fairing (not a 100% pleased with this yet, partly because the mounting from stock with the huge gap sucks! And from the low camera angle, it looks like a bra :laughter: )

Now it's just a matter of receiving my new (longer) grips and then ride it like I stole it!
I'll get some pictures soon with the whole bike in it, to show off it's rowdyness ;)
2000 Yamaha XJ 600 N - Scrambler
1980 Moto Guzzi V50 II - Cafe Racer

This topic has 82 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login