Cortech GX-Sport Air 3.0 Jacket

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
MOzarkRider
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As most of you know I recently purchased a Cortech GX-Sport Air 3.0 jacket for summer riding. I had a chance to fully test the jacket over the Arkansas Rally and Tennessee extended trip. I have to say that it did 90% of what I bought it for PERFECTLY. On to a review

The initial specs on this jacket from Revzilla are as follows:
-Performance cut, Armor-Link III mesh shell incorporates 1680 denier Ballistic Polyester material in the elbow and shoulders
-The mandarin-style collar features a soft microfiber trim
-Pre-curved and rotated sleeves increase comfort and performance in the riding position
-Adjustable sleeve takeup straps at the bicep helps to secure a snug fit
-360° Phoslite® reflective piping and Cortech’s signature reflective rear triangle increase nighttime visibility
-Removable, CE-approved armor at the elbow and shoulder with an articulated triple-density back protector
-Aqua-Therm two-stage waterproof and insulated liner can be configured or removed to best match comfort needs
-Two hand warmer pockets and an interior mobile phone pocket
-Adjustable waist belts with TPR pulls help fine tune the fit
-Includes a jacket/pant zipper attachment with the pant side included
-Fit is American cut and runs a size larger

Here is the Jacket laid out with all the liners:

Ok so theres the facts....
After putting 2700 miles on this jacket over 11 days including a crash. I must say that overall I am impressed with the fit, comfort, and protection the jacket provides. I bought this jacket with the intention of using it on weekend or longer summer trips as a touring jacket. The jacket is designed as a Heat-of-the-Summer Jacket with its white overall coloring (optional color choices) and its full mesh construction. It also features the waterproof and thermal liner which in my opinion are JUNK...... The Thermal liner is thin and honestly a warm shirt does a better job. and the Rain liner does not work with the design of the jacket. The low cut collar and hip length on the jacket make it ideal for summer comfort and fit but the rain liner goes under that cut to appear invisible. This allows rain to get in from the bottom and the top and slowly soak down your shirt. After a half hour of rain riding I was wet from hip to neck. The Liner should be a full collar and go down slighly past the jacket on the hip to lock out the rain. The waterproof liner was one of the main reasons I purchased the jacket and was dissapointed that it did not work. Of course it was raining REALLY hard.

What the jacket does do well is the heat. The full mesh construction flows a TON of air. With a compression shirt on underneath 85 degrees was no problem, didn't even break a sweat. Until you stop, but I think that would be with any jacket. The white does a good job of reflecting the heat. I had black mesh pants paired with the jacket on the trip and could tell the difference when the sun was me between the light and dark colors.

It has two cell phone pockets in the left side on the inside of the jacket on all the liners, which are a little two small for my Samsung Galexy S3 which is kinda a large phone. But i use them for my wallet instead and keep my phone in the large cargo pocket on the inside right. This setup worked great during the trip. There is also a map pocket on the inside left but I didn't put anything in there to test it out. I would probably put my garage door opener in that pocket. The jacket zips to my Olympia Airglide 1 pants and my Firstgear HT overpants but it fits well enough that I don't really need to zip the jacket to the pants. The only complaint I have with the fit is the collar chafes a little on the neck but not enough to leave you raw at the end of the day.

As far as protection goes the jacket has it where it counts with the 1680 D Balistic material stretching from the Elbows down to the wrists and covering the shoulders. The CE-Armor is paired with a hard plastic armor in the shoulders and elbows which they don't tell you in the statistics or reviews. This is a great pairing for a good amount of protection. When I went down in Arkansas I sustained zero damage to me. There was some light scuffs on the left elbow so I have to say the gear did its job. I hope I never have to test it on a high speed get-off but I feel that I will be adequately protected if I do.

Closing thoughts...
Overall great jacket. I bought it for summertime touring and that is the only season this jacket is good for. The waterproof and thermal liners are pretty much junk but the waterproof liner does act as a windbreak. The jacket offers more than adequate protection in the appropriate areas. Great fit and comfortable cut make it feel like your wearing nothing and the mesh flows a TON of air. I would give the jacket an 8 out of 10. The two points being for the liners. If your looking for a great summer jacket with a sporty look, this would be a finalist consideration in my opinion.

Hope yall enjoy the review,
Brian (MOzark)
"A life you don't live is still lost" Goo Goo Dolls
"Its not about the years of your life its about the life in your years" Abraham Lincon
92' Yamaha Seca II
14' KTM 200XC-W
Brian

This topic has 1 reply

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login