Wheel balancing: is it actually neccessary?

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast

Living where I do, there is no proper local bike dealers for me to take tyres too. Well, not without driving for 45 minutes.

There is a local mobile mechanic who I'm waiting to here from, and yesterday I went into a local car tyre dealer to ask if they can fit them.

"yeah of course we can" was the answer, followed by "ten quid mate".

"does that include balancing?" says I.

"nope". this was then followed by "there's no point in balancing motorbike wheels. I've had many motorbikes over the years, always fitted my own tyres, never bothered with wheel balancing and never noticed any ill effects". to be fair he's offered to give me a strip of sticky weights as "its quite simple if you want a go at home".

So people, over to you: do bike wheels NEED to be balanced? and if any of you have balanced your own wheels, is it relatively easy to do?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

This topic has 10 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login