Yet another question on tyres!

The general Seca II forum. XJ600 centric but all motorbikes welcome!
Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region:: Helensburgh, Scotland
Motorcycles:: 1999 XJ600N
Great Britain

Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:51 am

Hi all

Has anyone on here fitted a 120/70 front tyre, to the stock wheel and with the stock mudguard fitted? I've had a trawl through the forums and as far as I'm aware people with this tyre size have modded mudguards/YZF front ends rather than stock.

I'm looking at doing this to mine - coupled with a 4" FZR rim this means I could then fit Bridgestone BT016s (had great fun on these on previous bikes). But I would rather leave the front mudguard fitted as well.

If it makes any difference mine is the twin disc 1999 model.

Other tyre options are Contigo's or Roadriders (been warned off the latter on account of cold/wet grip levels).

Cheers peeps!

Jim
EIF wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:39 pm
"Yeah, the tank is making the house smell like a pickle factory and the signals have a sense of humor. Plus there was a handful of dogfood in the airbox."
Casper
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Region:: Motor City (MI)
Motorcycles:: 1994 XJ600, 2006 SV650

Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:15 pm

I don't remember seeing the 120 width tires being used on the narrower rims designed for 110 width tires. I know there were a lot of people that told me not to do the 110 width tire on the wider rim designed for a 120 width tire.
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.
Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Great Britain

Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:17 pm

I was given to believe that you could go up or down one size without any issues. From a mixture of stuff online (including this forum)
EIF wrote:
"Yeah, the tank is making the house smell like a pickle factory and the signals have a sense of humor. Plus there was a handful of dogfood in the airbox."
Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Great Britain

Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:00 pm

I've done a little bit more digging on this subject. I'm keen to get the tyre choice right first time. Tyres are expensive, and I can't afford to cock it up.

SpeedRacerOnline wrote a very detailed thread that I found by changing the search terms again. There is lots of detail, but the radio edit (for this thread) is that the stock front wheel is 17"x2.50", the stock rear wheel is 18"x3.50", and the 3HE FZR wheel I will be fitting is an 18"x4.00". There is lots of other info on part numbers, fork and brakes, should you fancy a read.

I have also found a table of tyre sizes and their corresponding wheel sizes here.

So, based on a 2.5" front wheel, the only tyre size in the middle of the wheel range is the 110/80-17. A 120/80 or even a 120/90 would just about work on the stock rim but would affect speedo accuracy and most likely clearance with the mudguard.

Interestingly it would appear the optimum size for a 3.5" rim is actually a 140/70 based on this information (rather than a 130) and a 150/70 is bang on for a 4" rim.

So I will be going stock up front and 150/70 rear and will just have to suck it up as far as wanting Bridgestones :-( Best guess now will be Continentals Contigo tyre, too many people I've spoken to have complained of cold/wet grip being poor.
EIF wrote:
TonyKZ1
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region:: Missouri, U.S.A.
Motorcycles:: 1997 Yamaha XJ600s Seca II
United States of America

Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:04 pm

I've ran the Avon RoadRiders on multiple bikes and they work good regardless of the weather. My favorite is the Michelin Pilot Active though, as they seem to work good regardless of the weather like the RoadRiders but they seem to last longer.
1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Adventure Style Heated Grips, Barkbusters Blizzard Cold Weather Handguards, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page.
kk600cc
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region:: Liverpool UK
Motorcycles:: 2003 Yamaha BT1100 Bulldog
Great Britain

Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:17 pm

I am with TonyKZ1 on Michelin Pilot Active when I had the xj went from bridgestone to these and found them a very good tyre indeed.
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region:: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles:: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:31 am

Back to your original question (because I don't know how I missed it), there is sufficient clearance between the forks and mudguard for a 120 tire. A 70 profile might be a bit tight with the 2.5" front rim width; an 80-series might be better. You shouldn't have any trouble fitting a 120/80, clearance wise, though you'll notice a slight discrepancy in your speedometer afterward. I have quite a wide tire on the front of the Scrambler without clearance issues or negative impacts in handling.

Of course, if they are the same prices and you find a brand you like, the stock sizing is always the best choice.

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us