Products I've had Good Luck with: Best Oil, Paint, etc.

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder

I've used many different products in maintaining and modifying my Seca II and I thought I'd start a thread to discuss them and maybe save you all some money. Here's a quick list of what I use in my bikes.

1. Engine Oil: Valvoline Synthetic MC Oil. Cheaper than Mobil1, offers better protection in air-cooled engines than conventional oil, and available at Wal-mart. I will use Mobil1 if I can't find Valvoline.

2. Oil Filter: I've tried OEM, Mobil1, etc, etc, but have had the best luck with HiFlo Filtro filters. I use them on all of my bikes and I'm always happy with the results.

3. Chain Lube: I use Chain-wax. I've tried a few brands and the wax seems to work better than other types of lubricants. It stays put, doesn't fling off on the wheel, doesn't attract dirt and lasts about 500 miles between sprays.

4. Fork Oil: I've tried a OEM oil in my Suzuki and a few other brands but have had the best luck with Silkolene's fork oil. I can get it locally from Performance Cycle and it works well.

5. Grease: For axles and suspension components, I've had good luck with Valvoline Synthetic Disc-brake grease. It comes in a tub and is available locally at Advance Auto.

6. Paint: I use Duplicolor Perfect-Match spray cans for color coats. I can get it locally at Advance Auto, it comes in a large variety of colors, and it's relatively easy to use with a nice nozzle.

7. Clearcoat: Spraymax 2k Catalyzed Urethane. It comes in a spray can, costs about $18 a can, and is absolutely gas proof. Perfect for motorcycle tanks and parts. It is catalyzed so it will require the use of a good respirator. You can buy it from R&E Paint Supply.

8. Wheel Paint: Duplicolor Wheel Paint, hands down. It sprays well and is unbelievably durable to stone chips, brake dust, etc.

9. Exhaust Paint: I've had really good luck with Rustoleum barbeque grill paint, for renewing the finish on my exhaust headers. It lasts about two season before needing touched-up and is cheap/easy to spray.

10. Replacement Parts: For gaskets, seals, replacement parts, etc, I prefer to stick with OEM parts when available. This is mainly because the quality of aftermarket parts vary so much and I can typically find OEM parts for about the same cost. I get both Yamaha Brand parts from BikeBandit.

I know everyone has their preference on brands, etc. Let me here what you've had good luck with and what you haven't. Please, though, no flaming!

This topic has 13 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login