XJ600S 1997 Front Fork spring length

The general Seca II forum. XJ600 centric but all motorbikes welcome!
roymichaeldean
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: U.K.
Motorcycles Owned Currently: Yamaha XJ600 1997 and 9 more

Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:33 am

Hi

after dismantling the whole bike and engine, only thing left was the Rear Shock and Front Forks.
As one of the Front Fork seals was seeping, and as I have a Honda CBR600Fwith Front Forks also dismantled, I thought I would take the XJ600S Front Forks to pieces and renew the Seals and Fork Oil.
My question is this....I measured the Springs and they are 385mm, the Metal Spacer is 150mm.
I have pretty well all the invoices from new and there's no mention of work on the front forks, and looking at the fork oil, I wouldn't be surprised if the fork oil is from 1997.
I looked at this Forum, I have Haynes and Clymer, none mention this Fork Spring length.

I wonder if anyone has any idea why the difference between mine and the Standard 475mm.

The Fork Oil was around 300ml, rather than the 375ml...

roy

roymichaeldean
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:00 am

Hi

I should also add that, I found dismantling the Forks was a nightmare, and I had to buy the Yamaha special tool, which cost around £74 in total.
The Damper section just spins around, I made a YouTube video to show the parts, so that everyone could fully understand the problem....
The Yamaha special tool consists of a T bar, and a special shaped socket on the end, which coincidentally I bought secondhand on eBay and came from the US, in 6 days.....quicker than the T bar from the local supplier.....
Using the Yamaha special tool, everything was easy, without it, impossible....

roy

MattP
Formerly spr1
Region or State: Silesia
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1996 XJ 600 Diversion
Poland

Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:41 pm

74 quid :shock:

When I've been doing my forks I managed to manufacture a tool suggested in Haynes manual (and also in 1Oldman's how-to) - a piece of threaded rod (cca 50cm) with two pairs of nuts at both ends. The nuts have to be proper size to fit in the damper rod of course (don't remember the size though).
That let me lock the damper rod from inside and unscrew (and later screw back) the bottom bolt.
It was a little acrobatic holding this extension in place and unbolting the bottom screw without the second pair of hands but everything ended well.

As for your previous question regarding the length of the springs - you may have some aftermarket springs.
'96 Seca II
Matt

Max118
New to XJR
New to XJR
Region or State: Aberystwyth
Motorcycles Owned Currently: Yamaha XJ600N 1997
Wales

Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:13 pm

I found to hold the damper section just find a broom handle or similar that fits down inside the tube and shapen the end slightly into a blunt point shove it down and tap it a couple of times with a hammer (not too hard) until it holds solid and then unscrew the allen bolt underneath and pull the damper out on the end of the broom handle, it worked for me :) and little or no expense hope it helps someone in the future.

I would say you probably have aftermarket springs as well.

roymichaeldean
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:24 am

Hi

I thought they must be Aftermarket Springs but I saw a suggestion that if so the Spacer would be made of plastic, whereas mine is metal...but you could be right.
I created a YouTube video to show the Damper Rod, and tool etc, as I have Haynes and Clymer, but a visual of the actual Damper Rod end, is worth a thousand words.....
Mine hadn''t been undone for many years, so in my case, as being flush with cash, I didn't mind spending the money to buy the Yamaha special Tool....I have completely dismantled the engine without buying any other Yamaha Special Tools, although I did need quite a few " tools " along the way........
Finally got some Clips, so getting ready to reassemble.......

Thanks for the advice and info

roy

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects: