Questions

The general Seca II forum. XJ600 centric but all motorbikes welcome!
Rix86
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: WA
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 96 xj600 and more
United States of America

Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:33 am

So....the delkevic exhausts on eBay.
Are they any good?
They're cheap enough.
Single vs dual, what's the opinion there?

My bike has a light knock when idling with clutch engaged, and a clack noise when starting.
Knock stops when clutch is disengaged ( lever pulled in)

What do I need to look for there?

Anyone run a wider and lower aspect ratio tire on the back? (Or the front)

How much output is available from the charging system?

Thanks for any help
-Rick

Casper
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Region or State: Motor City (MI)
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 XJ600, 2006 SV650

Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:53 am

I am using a Delkevic on my SV650 and really like it, it has held up well to years of use and a couple years in the Rust Belt. No complaints.

As for the rear wheel, are you wanting to keep the overall diameter? Most of the wider tires (140, 150) come with a lower ratio to do such that. It can be done for the rear. On the fronts, I assume you can, but it would be better to get a wider wheel to handle the size jump from 110 to 120, it does matter that much. Again, if you are looking for modern sportbike rubber sizing, you can get a YZF600R front end and run a 17 inch rear wheel like Radare's red bike and have your choice.

Not much from the charging system, I know of many that have used bar grip heaters and possibly a heated jacket, but I haven't heard of much more than that on the system.
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.

Rix86
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
United States of America

Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:30 pm

And here she is
Rough

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:33 pm

I've used Delkevic headers on two bikes and have always found their products to be high quality. I don't think you will be disappointed with thier mufflers if you're willing to spend the money on them.

For the wider tires, as Casper asks, are you expecting to keep the 18" rear wheel size or move to something like a 17" rear wheel. I've run 150 series tires on both 18" and 17" and the 17" wheel is the way to go if you are up for a swap.

Rix86
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
United States of America

Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:18 am

Swap has crossed my mind. I have a gs1150 parts bike. I've eyeballed it as a possible.

Rix86
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
United States of America

Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:19 am

Swap has crossed my mind. I have a gs1150 parts bike. I've eyeballed it as a possible.

Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Helensburgh, Scotland
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1999 XJ600N
Great Britain

Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:18 am

On the single vs dual mufflers, I have replaced the whole system since buying the bike and stuck with dual mufflers and stock-style headers.

Personally I prefer the symmetry of the dual-muffler layout from an aesthetic point of view, and I really couldn't be bothered with the thought of having to remove the headers every time I want to change the oil/filter! As far as I'm aware the single can downpipes obstruct the filter.

On the wheel size thing, I've opted for an 18"x4.00" 3HE wheel from an FZR600; this is purely because its the lowest-hassle option to fit a 150 profile tyre and is pretty much plug and play. If I had the time/inclination I'd probably have gone with a 17" conversion for tyre choice, but Avon Roadriders are available in the size I need here in the UK.
Nelsonmd wrote: My 4runner on the other hand... I decided she needed to be a girl only because I spent so much time underneath/inside her, I didn't want to think of her as a dude...

Rix86
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
United States of America

Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:23 pm

I am actually really kind of liking the idea of twin cans. I just am entirely unsure what it will sound like with a single versus dual

Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Helensburgh, Scotland
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1999 XJ600N
Great Britain

Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:07 am

To be honest, unless you get a "race" type can with a removable baffle, I'd be surprised if there was much difference at all
Nelsonmd wrote: My 4runner on the other hand... I decided she needed to be a girl only because I spent so much time underneath/inside her, I didn't want to think of her as a dude...

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:08 am

IMHO, the dual exhaust looks better if you aren't going for that R6 replica look. I like mine.

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects:

Predrag's Resto

Renegade's 93