Minor oversight

The general Seca II forum. XJ600 centric but all motorbikes welcome!
North1987
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Ontario, Canada
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 96 xj600

Wed May 17, 2017 8:16 pm

The brain fart, the miscalculation, we have all done it and I figured that I should share mine from this afternoon. So I have been doing the naked conversion on the bike over the winter. Got delayed/ work scope modified after I fractured my pelvis, anyway long story short I finally got the vapour trail tech ( FYI found a really good way to mount these I will make a thread on it later ) and wanted to test the speedo. Due to my injury my legs are weak still and I left the kick stand down as a safety I was just going to go from one end of the garage to the other. So I started the bike, pulled the clutch, and dropped it into first, and it stalled with a heart wrenching bang. Odd I parked the bike and it was working fine ( some of you might already have picked up my mistake ). Do this once more, then I figure my clutch must be out of adjustment, the bike is fine in neutral. So I spend the next 1-2 hours messing with my clutch, trying different things but it seems to be working fine. My wife then voluntold me I was going to take a break, and come relax on the back deck for a bit. No sooner then I had sat down out back I let out a large 4 letter word the rhymes with fire truck, and then returned to the garage. Started the bike, lifted the kickstand, put it into first with no bang and then proceeded to ride around the block ( pelvis be damned ). You see the kickstand has a safety switch built in, it cuts the bike out when you put it in gear like pretty much every bike. As I said I felt pretty silly, but after riding the first time in 5 months I got over it pretty quick :)

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region or State: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles Owned Currently: BMW R 1150 GS
Netherlands

Thu May 18, 2017 3:36 am

I think we've all been there. :)

Like the time I had a guy push me up and down the street in London to start my bike... Only to remember that I left the kill switch on "off" at the end of the last push. Then I silently switched that, had him push one more time and all of a sudden the thing ran fine...

SpeedRacerOnline
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Region or State: Michigan
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 & '93 Yamaha XJ600S, '74 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
United States of America

Thu May 18, 2017 2:59 pm

LOL! Yup, we all have those stories! I've run out of gas a couple of times because I forgot to switch it off reserve on the last fill up. I watch my odometer closer now.
"I want to drive. I want to feel all of it: freedom, wind, curves, feedback, acceleration, unsteadiness, fear, joy... I don't want to ride. I want to drive."
- Speed's XJ Journal

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region or State: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles Owned Currently: BMW R 1150 GS
Netherlands

Fri May 19, 2017 12:07 am

SpeedRacerOnline wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 2:59 pm
LOL! Yup, we all have those stories! I've run out of gas a couple of times because I forgot to switch it off reserve on the last fill up. I watch my odometer closer now.
Oh, I can tell you tales on forgetting to switch on the petcock/connect the fuel line for ages. :oops:

Michaelphilip
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: California
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1993 yamaha xj600s

Thu May 25, 2017 1:12 pm

Ive done that at the gas station a few timeswhen it was busy trying to get on so others can get their gas if i didn't have my helmet on im sure they would have seen the embarrasment lol
You can run but you will just die tired

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects:

Predrag's Resto