Will the XJ600S Diversion/Seca 2 be a classic bike?

The general Seca II forum. XJ600 centric but all motorbikes welcome!
sleekitwan
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: yorkshire
Motorcycles Owned Currently: y2k Diversion 600 Naked

Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 am

The basic machine was the same fundamental design for an uncommonly long time. So, point 1. Staying power.

The design of the seca 2 or diversion 600 or indeed the shaft drive 900, had some novel features despite Yamaha using as many bits from the parts bin as it could.

Hence we have the great idea of the tucked-ip generator, cpmpared to kwacker fours of the time, making the engine narrow for a multi. So a notable design feature or two is point 2. We could toss in those tangled header pipes. That is a work pf art, come on!

A very big point too, is how damn well known they are both sides of the atlantic and asia.

Therefore I submit point 3 being that awareness factor. As much as a guy knpws what an E-type Jaguar looks like, most bikers know a Seca 2, XJ or Diversion.

Either they had one or they doscounted it when surveying the market looking for the middleweight they'd move up to (or like me in my fifties, move down to for ease and econpmy).

I almost did not get 'Rosie' and despite having to overcome Yamaha's turn of century messed up leaned out carburettion, that was such a good decision.

It's a classic, with no shadow of a doubt, for the above reasons and more. S&@t, you could do a thesis on it. Gawd, my dream doctorate...
Current bike year 2000 Yamaha XJ600N also called Seca II or Diversion 600. On an older bike air cooling is a blessing, no sludge and complexity of badly-maintained liquid cooling. Other bikes were: BMW K100 roadster; Honda VF750S Sabre with anti-dive.

sleekitwan
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: yorkshire
Motorcycles Owned Currently: y2k Diversion 600 Naked

Fri May 19, 2017 8:03 am

Heck, novel design features - forgot the slanted cylinder block and downdraft carbs, and that artwork of a rocker box cover, all curves and some kind of 'blade' design going on, giving access to spark plugs.

I fitted iridium, so have not even checked them for 2 years, this reminds me. Best mod to any standard petrol (gas) engine, to cut maintenace and unreliability in half.

I fell the itch to write that thesis coming on!
Current bike year 2000 Yamaha XJ600N also called Seca II or Diversion 600. On an older bike air cooling is a blessing, no sludge and complexity of badly-maintained liquid cooling. Other bikes were: BMW K100 roadster; Honda VF750S Sabre with anti-dive.

TonyKZ1
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Missouri, U.S.A.
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1997 Yamaha XJ600s Seca II
United States of America

Fri May 19, 2017 10:23 am

Wow, nice write up! Keep it coming.
1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Adventure Style Heated Grips, Barkbusters Blizzard Cold Weather Handguards, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Fri May 19, 2017 10:32 am

sleekitwan wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 am
Therefore I submit point 3 being that awareness factor. As much as a guy knows what an E-type Jaguar looks like, most bikers know a Seca 2, XJ or Diversion.

Either they had one or they discounted it when surveying the market looking for the middleweight they'd move up to (or like me in my fifties, move down to for ease and economy).
I think, one thing to consider is, we had way-fewer XJ's in the United States than you all have in Europe and they just do not seem to have the same awareness here in the US. Our motorcycle culture is different, too, given that we don't do staged or experienced based licensing. Your typical new rider (making a lot of stereotypical assumptions) is likely to go with a more aggressive bike like the SV650 or even the R series or GSXR bikes than an old carbureted 90's bike and I think this is really tied to image and not practicality.

Ollyrag
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Kent, UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: xj600N 1998
Great Britain

Fri May 19, 2017 2:21 pm

I just like the look of the N model, but then I also like old stuff, the plastic fantastic bikes aint for me.
This is mine and we,re off to the Fly Low IV event in Bruges, Belgium in the morning.
IMG_20170313_125559830.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's not how old you are, It's how you are old.

johnny ro
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: NH USA
Motorcycles Owned Currently: wee strom K6, srx250, XJ600s

Fri May 26, 2017 6:07 pm

I bought my clean low mile 1994 last week, as a classic.

So, to me it is already a classic.

Shopped it against an XT1200, CB500X and Versys-x 300.

Bought the XJ cause it was cheaper; no-pain money. By very far, the prettiest. Admit to self, won't be riding off road any time soon. There is no off-road near Boston.

Its not my only bike.

Cannot imagine getting bored and selling it for almost no money.

Will it rise in value? not for decades, if ever. Will I lose money on it? Not much to lose.

Crimson
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: London
Motorcycles Owned Currently: XJ600S

Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:37 am

Its passage into the ranks of the classics seems to be well underway. I searched online and found 2 other forums concerned with this bike. One of them, diversionclub.proboards.com, is a UK-dominated forum about this bike, with quite a bit of recent activity. They're talking about social meet-ups at VJMC events. Not talking about how to fix their broken bikes, etc. I don't imagine these guys use their bike like mine (i.e. a learning tool, and for practising cornering and other riding techniques on fun roads). Probably, not many people who own these bikes actually ride very much at all. The VJMC is full of retired people who, somehow, curiously 'missed the boat' in some way, and now polish things, make tea and remember to avoid talking about politics or religion. A far cry from the Diversion's heyday as a bike for riding, that did huge mileages, as tourers, commuters and even couriers.

Not having a dig at any other forum btw. This one has its share of oddities, with many more owners keen to transform their bikes' looks with Ebay's help than having any interest in servicing their wheel bearings. In fact, I found this pic on Facebook.
https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5A363F75
A guy had painted his front caliper red but presumably hadn't serviced it, had fixed twin dom headlights, joined a 'streetfighter' sort of bike club, etc. but wanted to know how many wheel bearings he needed for his rear wheel... So presumably, Haynes wasn't his usual reading material. It's becoming a strange world indeed. Not digging that 'scene' either. I anticipated that this bike would join the ranks of the classics, but it's a shame to see it at the same time become yet another toy in a world full of millenials' toys. Everything is postmodern and ironic, nothing is definitively true, etc. Oh and then there are those who tear apart a Diversion after buying one on Ebay, then post a picture of a fuel pump asking what this item is, etc. Not a really cool scene.
A record of maintenance items carried out on my bike:
https://crimsonxj.wordpress.com/

kk600cc
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Liverpool UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 2003 Yamaha BT1100 Bulldog
Great Britain

Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:57 pm

I am also on the diversionclub site as well as this one (same user name) joined it when I bought the divvy then found xjrider later on, I have had lots of useful info on fixing problems on the bike from the diversionclub site (as well as xjrider of course) a good few members seem to have moved on from owning a divvy now but will still chip in if you have a question. It as more members having 900 divvy's than 600 ones, I think most that still have a divvy do use them and bought them for price reliability and ease to fix/work on. I think xjrider is better for us 600 owners and more focused to the xj and xj owners happy to be on both sites although I am not that active poster on any sites computers not my thing but if I can help any one with anything I know about our bikes I will do my best to post.

Crimson
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: London
Motorcycles Owned Currently: XJ600S

Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:35 pm

I joined all three forums but only ever posted in this one. What I find interesting is that there are 3 forums in the first place. Search online for a forum about the Kawasaki ER5. There isn't one any more, to my knowledge. The one that used to exist had a strange character. It was as if people there really didn't like their bikes, but not because the bikes were bad, but because they were unhappy with their financial situations. A lot of interesting psychology is in the mix whenever vehicles are involved!

Arguably, this forum, which is without a doubt the biggest resource and the best-designed of the lot, seems to have started as radare's explorations into his bike. He took some dimensions from Haynes and lots of photographs, and posted them up here methodically. This was quite useful to lots of people, as lots of people were still using their older XJs as their bikes for riding at the time. So the compendium of instructionals came about, on how to do everything service-wise, on this bike. By that time, radare knew the bike inside out, and began posting what he discovered about customising this model of bike. This was a diversion (lol) from how the majority of people were using their bikes, in standard, unmodified form. Some of these mods were useful: better brakes and shocks from other bikes, for example, but most were just exercises in vanity. This was just a normal part of what was going on in the world of bikes at the time (the cafe racer fad) but he really wanted appreciation for subjective decisions on his own taste - something that can never be resolved as tastes are individual. The net effect of this was that, suddenly, it appeared that everyone on a forum with one of these bikes appeared to have several bikes. It was the norm to say, 'my XJ600 isn't my only bike', but when you looked at their collection, their other bikes were nonfunctioning or completely unused, ancient piles of junk. So I'm not sure what the point is there, apart from that it doesn't seem to be about riding any more. Can you see any post here or anywhere else about chicken strips and preload settings? Well there are a couple of interesting points about the geometry of this bike, but riding the bikes isn't the focus of the forums, so it's natural hardly anyone would know about them.

However, we seem to be at the point now where the majority of members of all three forums are mostly interested in the finer aspects of spear-shaped indicators, chrome instrument dials, subframe chopping, etc., and not in the bike as the actual bike itself. It's more like a resource that's made it easier for people to 'do that mechanic thing', strike a pose, get the skinny jeans, etc. for a year. Next year, who knows? But for now it's all about this. By contrast, I currently see a 90s Diversion in standard trim, whether the 600 or 900, on nearly every ride I take here in southern England, in the summer. So not everyone is into the cult of dubious modifications. There are still ordinary bikers about. That there isn't a dedicated forum for them (us) any more is interesting. But at least people are generally happier than ER5 owners...

The point behind this long post being simply that there is some undercurrent of change happening at the present time, and used prices of these will soar once it's realised that a couple of hundred quid can make you a home mechanic and a customiser thanks to the information here.
A record of maintenance items carried out on my bike:
https://crimsonxj.wordpress.com/

Ollyrag
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Kent, UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: xj600N 1998
Great Britain

Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:23 pm

IMG_20170814_164436012.jpg
What a good post, could'nt agree more.
I got mine as a project, put it together, painted it and ride it. There are so many fads at the moment, cafe/bobber/retro/etc.
Even the manufacturers are at it.
I dont think these XJ's will ever be classics, just old bikes, but hey, who cares, only the fadists and the "Classic" bike crowd. As we say, ours are ridden not hidden, ride safe. My XJ and my mates Z650
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's not how old you are, It's how you are old.

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us