Will the XJ600S Diversion/Seca 2 be a classic bike?

The general Seca II forum. XJ600 centric but all motorbikes welcome!
Crimson
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: London
Motorcycles Owned Currently: XJ600S

Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:43 pm

Cheers Olly, you too!

Just thinking about how this situation came about, and I came to the realisation that there's nothing new about any of this. The nature of riding a bike - any bike - is intensely solitary. Not lonely, but loner.. It's really individual and doesn't involve anyone else. This is in direct contrast to the nature of clubs, internet discussion forums and social network groups. Anyone who actually rides is a weirdo, an oddball, a freak. Socially acceptable highs are completely different from having fun riding a bike in that they are either elated states or states of equilibrium in stasis, involving other people. This means that these organisations and pseudo-organisations tend to put social interactions and shared groups of values ahead of a heavily compromised individuality, and they develop their own, new conformities. In other words, admittance to the club involves the desecration and ruin of a symbol of lone wolf-ism - i.e. the motorcycle. They need to destroy the face of the old world, masculine values, etc. Sort of the way the truck in the 1970s movie "Duel" has to be "killed" by being launched over a cliff. It just stands for something the henpecked man cannot handle: the existence of an individual, masculine archetype. Someone who lives life fully by being equanimous and indifferent in the face of death, the demands of women and family, the commands of a social hierarchy, etc. So the next time you see a Diversion that's been mutilated into a cafe racer, see it as a symbol of the sacrifice that guy made. Desperate for companionship, the lone wolf cuts off its own tail.
A record of maintenance items carried out on my bike:
https://crimsonxj.wordpress.com/

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:43 am

Crimson wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:43 pm
Cheers Olly, you too!

Just thinking about how this situation came about, and I came to the realisation that there's nothing new about any of this. The nature of riding a bike - any bike - is intensely solitary. Not lonely, but loner.. It's really individual and doesn't involve anyone else. This is in direct contrast to the nature of clubs, internet discussion forums and social network groups. Anyone who actually rides is a weirdo, an oddball, a freak. Socially acceptable highs are completely different from having fun riding a bike in that they are either elated states or states of equilibrium in stasis, involving other people. This means that these organisations and pseudo-organisations tend to put social interactions and shared groups of values ahead of a heavily compromised individuality, and they develop their own, new conformities. In other words, admittance to the club involves the desecration and ruin of a symbol of lone wolf-ism - i.e. the motorcycle. They need to destroy the face of the old world, masculine values, etc. Sort of the way the truck in the 1970s movie "Duel" has to be "killed" by being launched over a cliff. It just stands for something the henpecked man cannot handle: the existence of an individual, masculine archetype. Someone who lives life fully by being equanimous and indifferent in the face of death, the demands of women and family, the commands of a social hierarchy, etc. So the next time you see a Diversion that's been mutilated into a cafe racer, see it as a symbol of the sacrifice that guy made. Desperate for companionship, the lone wolf cuts off its own tail.
Where the hell did that come from?

Crimson
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars

Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:36 am

radare wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:43 am
Where the hell did that come from?
It's all about a difference in values and value systems. I don't believe that talking and arguing about everything is a cornerstone of democracy and freedom. Not by a long shot. It just leads to unnecessary antagonism in a shrinking world. Suffice to say, some people ride bikes and others use them as a sort of Lego set, to create a sort of ironic, postmodern reality in which anything can be imagined as anything else. For example, building scramblers that cannot and will never scramble. Or cafe racers in the complete absence of a cafe racing bike culture - in the present time these bizarre custom bikes occupy an imaginary alternate reality in which you can transpose to entire different countries and continents, and do a bit of time travel too (1960s in the 2010s). Once upon a time, working class people (people the likes of hipsters and VJMC are at great pains to distance themselves from) struggled to do 'the ton' on awful old Nortons, Triumphs, BSAs, etc., illegally road-racing, on their bikes, but now you can buy a Hayabusa and do over 200mph easily. So on the one hand you have posers and on the other you have riders. The XJ600S was never designed to be a road-racing or sports bike, nor a scrambler, etc.

Given these facts, I remarked that there isn't a dedicated forum for the people I see every day who ride street bikes like the XJ600s as they were intended. Trying to make sense of why people play 'let's pretend', and then whip out the angle grinder and Ebay cheap glitter, with the help of forums that were once focussed on reponsible maintenance and repair advice, I speculated that they just wanted to feel like they belonged to something. Even if that thing was imaginary and fictional.. Since everything is a toy nowadays, a screwdriver might as well be a space ship just as a XJ600S is a unicorn, or whatever we're pretending it is today.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:44 am

If you want to discuss modern motorcycle culture and visit a rose-colored view of past cultures, that's fine, let's do it. But start a new topic. Don't derail this one.

And BTW, you know how boring it is for both site founders/administrators and long-time forum veterans to sit around and talk about maintenance to keep stock bikes on the road. Dear lord. I hate providing an on line maintenance support forum. For me, it is about the social aspect. So start that new topic, I'll move your soapbox posts to that topic, and we can give it a go.

And tread lightly for we do not support misogynistic or stereotypical viewpoints. It's right up there in the site rules - > about.php

Crimson
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars

Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:01 am

radare wrote:
If you want to discuss modern motorcycle culture and visit a rose-colored view of past cultures, that's fine, let's do it. But start a new topic. Don't derail this one.

And BTW, you know how boring it is for both site founders/administrators and long-time forum veterans to sit around and talk about maintenance to keep stock bikes on the road. Dear lord. I hate providing an on line maintenance support forum. For me, it is about the social aspect. So start that new topic, I'll move your soapbox posts to that topic, and we can give it a go.

And tread lightly for we do not support misogynistic or stereotypical viewpoints. It's right up there in the site rules - > about.php
The fact is, you're just mad because:
1) You make scramblers that don't scramble, and cafe racers minus the cafe, minus the race, minus the 1960s bikes, and I just said it's pointless and vain.
2) This is your site, you made it, you pay for it, and the reason you did this is to get attention and praise for your 'customising'.

You accuse me of 'derailing' a thread, but you overlook the fact that I started this thread. This is my thread.
Then you make further accusation: "tread lightly for we do not support misogynistic or stereotypical viewpoints."

Sorry but your smear doesn't stick. I haven't anything misogynistic, nor is there anything about 'stereotypical viewpoints' in your site rules. You're making it up as you go along but hey, you pay for your friends, and you pay for your own vanity projects. No skin off my nose, and I'm not going to suck up to you. When you try to make up the rule book and dictate your diktats to individualists, you're talking to a brick wall and you may as well go home. I'm not impressed with your bike butchery. What's next, call me a racist and ban me from the site? Grow up radare. I don't think anyone tells you that near often enough.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:17 am

Crimson wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:01 am
radare wrote:

The fact is, you're just mad because:
1) You make scramblers that don't scramble, and cafe racers minus the cafe, minus the race, minus the 1960s bikes, and I just said it's pointless and vain.
2) This is your site, you made it, you pay for it, and the reason you did this is to get attention and praise for your 'customising'.

You accuse me of 'derailing' a thread, but you overlook the fact that I started this thread. This is my thread.
Then you make further accusation: "tread lightly for we do not support misogynistic or stereotypical viewpoints."

Sorry but your smear doesn't stick. I haven't anything misogynistic, nor is there anything about 'stereotypical viewpoints' in your site rules. You're making it up as you go along but hey, you pay for your friends, and you pay for your own vanity projects. No skin off my nose, and I'm not going to suck up to you. When you try to make up the rule book and dictate your diktats to individualists, you're talking to a brick wall and you may as well go home. I'm not impressed with your bike butchery. What's next, call me a racist and ban me from the site? Grow up radare. I don't think anyone tells you that near often enough.
Why are you escalating this? I want you to create a new topic. It's simple. Create a new topic. This has nothing to do with my feelings.

But, you know, you are right. This is my site. I own it and I demand a certain standard in the participants. You were asked nicely to follow forum rules and you have chosen, instead, to insult me. We don't need that sort of behavior here.

I have decided, for the sake of myself and other longstanding members, to ban you from the site. We are built around collaboration and what you are providing goes against the fundamentals of this site. Give your behavior some thought and, if you decided you wish to positively contribute to this site, you can contact me through email and I will activate your account. :!:

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us