Radare's 1969 Honda CB350 (That I May Mod to Annoy Crimson)

The general Seca II forum. XJ600 centric but all motorbikes welcome!
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:01 am

Yep. You read that right. I own a CB350. I actually bought this bike in June of 2009 in piece. I put it in my garage and left it there. The years went by, it sat in the garage and I never got a title for it. Eventually, I figured it'd cost more to title than it was worth and had mentally decided to part it when I moved to Broomfield.

Well, today I went to the DMV and $63 later, I have a clean title for the '69. So Instead, I'll be building it back up and getting it on the road. That's what this topic will be about.

Here's how it looks right now, sad, burred in the back corner of my filthy Denver garage, in pieces and unloved. This is as far as I made it with the bike the first time I went at restoring it. Sad, I know.

The engine is in pieces. The project stalled the first time because I was afraid to pull apart the bottom end and gearbox. I'm not anymore. I've done it a couple of times now on other bikes. The top-end is all over my workbench and many pieces, I'm sure, have been scattered to the workbench gods. I have a box of parts in the basement including a rebuilt head and slipper tensioner. Might even be a gasket set down there. This will be a challenge.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:19 pm

Here's the paint scheme I'll be going with. Except green instead of blue.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:18 pm

Dug the CB out of my garage in Denver and hauled it up to the new workshop.

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region or State: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles Owned Currently: BMW R 1150 GS
Netherlands

Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:21 am

My first thought when I saw this thread now was: "Man, Radare, that is a sweet base to start your electric bike build from!" ;)

I remember you mentioning that earlier. You could sell off the engine and probably get some nice cash for it and the rest looks like a very nice base to me. ;)

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:55 pm

Alright, so, giving thought to that little TU250X had me go down a whole line of logic. It went something like this: Man, I wish that TU has a bit more umph. Maybe the SR400, like Tony recommends. Nothing on Craigslist. Maybe a 350. Hmm, how about an older bike instead, maybe something simple. Hey, how about a CB350. Aw, man, I have one of those in the garage. Maybe I should dig it out and get it going.

So here we are now, after that long winded discussion with myself, I have a lick of motivation for the CB. I went out into my dirty/old/nasty garage in Denver and began pulling out the parts. I have two engines, in pieces. I have a bunch of new parts, in boxes. And I have some parts that I don't even think go to the CB350. This is going to be a puzzle with missing and extra pieces. I think I'm up for it.

What do we have here, underneath all this dust and rat crap?

Look at that; freshly machined cylinders, new .25mm oversized pistons and a cylinder head with a valve job.

Where are the rest of the parts? Oh, there they are on the workbench:

All the CB looking parts, collected and ready to move to the workshop. Might be some non-CB parts in there too, though :prob:

What's my plan? Disassemble the correct engine (matching engine number) and start cleaning up the bottom end for assembly. Then going through the rest of the engine parts, pulling out the ones in better shape and building a motor with them. Get the engine put together and then I'll focus on the rest. More to come!

TonyKZ1
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Missouri, U.S.A.
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1997 Yamaha XJ600s Seca II
United States of America

Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:49 pm

Wow, that sounds great. Keep us updated on your progress.
1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Adventure Style Heated Grips, Barkbusters Blizzard Cold Weather Handguards, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page.

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region or State: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles Owned Currently: BMW R 1150 GS
Netherlands

Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:15 am

Looks like a great start!

Considering starting a new project somewhere after the summer, unless I have something else that gets my attention.

mikee112
User Administrator
User Administrator
Region or State: UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '99 Yamaha XJ 600n
Great Britain

Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:51 pm

Fantastic, can't wait for this, love the old stuff :thumbsup: ... are you going for classic restoration or a one off special ?

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:35 pm

mikee112 wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:51 pm
Fantastic, can't wait for this, love the old stuff :thumbsup: ... are you going for classic restoration or a one off special ?
I think I'll do a rehab instead of a restoration. That way, I won't have to worry about accurate colors, bolt and nut types, etc. I can paint it and assemble it to work and look good without it needing to be accurate.

That being said, what do you all think of Rover's BRG (paint code HNA/617) for a color on this one?

Casper
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Region or State: Motor City (MI)
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 XJ600, 2006 SV650

Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:15 am

I like British Racing Green. I think it would be even funnier to have the Japanese bike in British racing livery.
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects:

Predrag's Resto

Renegade's 93