Should I, or shouldn't I

The general Seca II forum. XJ600 centric but all motorbikes welcome!
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region or State: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles Owned Currently: BMW R 1150 GS

Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:57 am

Ok, here is the situation. I have too many hobbies. Some of you might have noticed. Nowadays, I run (5 - 15Km two to three times a week), I have bought a racing bicycle that I need to get myself onto as soon as spring is here, I am trying to improve my golf and then I have my own business and my motorcycle. (Oh, and an Alfa Romeo that has seen no progress whatsoever in the past 3 years.) Way too much stuff on my hands. ;)

Anyway, the past three years, I always had two motorcycles and I find it is easier to tinker with motorcycles than it is with cars. (Or racing bicycles, those derailleur systems are complicated...) And after spotting the Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled, I have been regaining a bit of that itch...

(Leaving this here for a quick idea of the Ducati and triggering your itch.)

So, what do you guys think? I was thinking it would be an option to take another stab at building myself a scrambler/desert sled kind of thing. A reasonably light bike, that should be able to do motorway duty (80 - 85 mph for longer stretches) but also should be comfortable with a straight up seating position and easy to chuck about on forest roads, sand etc.

One option would be to grab an XJ and try to build one based on that. Another option would be to grab a Honda of sorts as I still have two Dominator fork legs hanging around the garage. Yet another option would be to grab an XT/DR/KL or similar offroad/enduro machine as a base.
What are your thoughts?

fateddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Region or State: North Colorado
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1996 XJ600N, 1991 Suzuki DR350
United States of America

Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:50 am

Early model XT500.
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Helensburgh, Scotland
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1999 XJ600N
Great Britain

Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:58 am

I'm with eddy on this one I think, something like an XT500 or similar - I dont think that the XJ600 could ever be described as light!
Nelsonmd wrote: My 4runner on the other hand... I decided she needed to be a girl only because I spent so much time underneath/inside her, I didn't want to think of her as a dude...

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:06 pm

It really depends; do you want it to be more street oriented, or more off road oriented? For more of an off-road orientation, starting with an older dirt bike makes sense. For more street-orientation, well, a street bike makes sense.

For me, I think a single or twin would be best. The fours are just too wide and they have too many exhaust pipes out front where skid-plates should be. The XJ is a fun bike to build (as you know, I know) but there are better Scrambler bikes out there.

If I were to do it again, I think I'd go with the SR400. It has the right styling, is cheap, has a single with lots of room for modification, and has a good upright seating position. The engine is kick-only, makes roughly 27 hp, and the bike is fairly light.

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler

Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:23 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. The trouble with the SR400 is that I can pick up an XJ600 for a 10th of the price of an SR. I guess I would rather pick up a nice street bike with a single or twin, but those usually have prices that are a bit more serious than just a budget plaything to wrench on. ;) I did make an offer on a KLE yesterday, but the guy wanted twice what I offered him and I didn't want to go that far. Perhaps an older XT600 or similar that is a bit tatty could be an interesting option. ;)

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:29 am

We sure wouldn't look another XJ600 Scrambler build in the teeth, er, headlight. . . ;)

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler

Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:28 am

Hahahahaha :)

Perhaps I should think on it for a bit... I have a couple unrelated projects in my garage that I need to get ready first. Like my smoker bbq and my carbon racing bicycle.

But then... :lolno:

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects:

Predrag's Resto