Tempting. Very Tempting

General discussion for the XJ600, Seca II and Diversion.
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II

Tempting. Very Tempting

Post by radare » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:32 am

I found this '98 on Craigslist near Denver, for $1300, and I must say, I'm tempted. '98, as you know, was the last year the XJ was sold in the US. This one looks to be in good shape though its side covers are missing.

What do you guys think? I've had a few faired Secas and they've come and gone. Do I need another, simply for the sakes of having it?

I can see from the photos that it needs maintenance (tires, chain and sprocket, etc) and that the seat needs a new cover. I can also see that it still has its original warning stickers which means it hasn't been repainted.

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/5907852264.html

TonyKZ1
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Missouri, U.S.A.
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1997 Yamaha Seca II

Re: Tempting. Very Tempting

Post by TonyKZ1 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:19 am

That looks pretty good, nice and clean, doesn't appear to be abused or "customized" to me at least. Recover the seat, a set of tires, a chain & sprockets set and you're done. And then if or when you decide to take it naked, you can sell me the windshield, right? :)

Hmm, I wonder how much he'd drop the price since someone has to do some work to it to make look and ride better.
1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Sports Style Heated Grips, Barkbusters Blizzard Cold Weather Handguards, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page.

xjardin
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: ca
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 xj600sfc

Post by xjardin » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:58 am

Yeah you should be able to get him to come down on that price a bit and it would totally be worth it. Then you can sell me the rear and center seat cowling when you do the N-conversion :)
Youtube Certified Backyard Technician

predrag80
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Romania
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1998 Yamaha XJ600S

Post by predrag80 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:37 am

If you are planing to get another SECA II than this is a good bike to buy. At first sight it is in original state, no damage to the paint or exhaust (which can be expensive to change).
Black painted engine is not an original color as well as wheels. And that ignition cover and left muffler have some scratches which means that the bike felt down. If you look close at from blinker, it seams that it is damaged, which will have some logic. If that blinker is damaged, than you should pay attention to fairing in that area. It may be cracked although you can`t see it on the pictures. Both end bars are missing. That chain is at the end of his life.
Over all, that bike doesn`t look bad at all. Some parts are missing and some are worn out. But fairings are nice, original paint in good condition, even that black paint on the wheels and engine could maybe go off with some solvent and reveal original paint in good condition beneath.
Nice bike to have.

fateddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Region or State: North Colorado
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1996 XJ600N, 1991 Suzuki DR350

Post by fateddy » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:27 am

predrag80 wrote: Black painted engine is not an original color as well as wheels.
Black was an original engine color for a couple runs. Mine was a black engine from the factory.
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

predrag80
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Romania
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1998 Yamaha XJ600S

Post by predrag80 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:40 am

We haven't had black engines in EU so, my mistake

Trimis de pe al meu SM-G930F folosind Tapatalk