My Collection of Old Bikes

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
bsw
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Here they are, oldest to newest...

1982 CB 250 RS

Bought it a few years ago unregistered and not running. General tidy-up, cheap headlight, tail light and indicators from eBay and it was on the road. My son used it to get his license and as ridden it around quite a bit. Recently changed from the stock bars flipped upside down to clip-ons. Currently off the road as the headlight and tail-light are not working. With both not working it feels like it should be as simple as the fuse - but that looks OK. Have not done serious troubleshooting yet.

I was planning for my next project to be to take this off the road for a while, strip it right down and clean and paint everything as I put it back together. Also make a new seat and rear fender. But I just bough the K100, so not sure what the priorities are now...

1989 K 100 RT

Just bought it a few days ago. Looks like it's been stored for quite a while. It's done 275,000km and the previous owner claims it was a police bike. Runs and sounds OK. It did have all the fairings etc. that you would expect on an RT - I've been busy taking them off over the last couple of days. I know it needs a new rear disk and fork seals. I'm sure it will also need things like fuel lines and throttle body boots etc. Yep - going to be another cafe racer...

1995 XJ 600 Seca II

You already know all about this one :-)

1998 GSX 250 F

Saw this for sale cheap. Seller said it was not going, but I bought it anyway thinking I would use the front-end as an upgrade for the CB205RS. Got it home and found that the only reason it was not running was that someone had removed the locating blocks from the CDI casing and the plugs were on the wrong way. I have the side covers and fairings but they are in bad shape - think I will be cutting the faring down to bikini size and seeing how that works.

1999 FZX 250

Bought this very cheap ($100) not running. Seller said "needs new engine because of rust". Bought it anyway thinking that as a worst case it would be a new front-end for the CB. The rust turned out to be in the fuel tank - had been stored outside and got water in the fuel. Inside of tank is covered in rust and this was all through the carbs. Filled the tank with vinegar for a week and cleaned out the carbs. Runs fine! The tank is still rusty inside but pretty much any steel tank is going to have some rust isn't it? This is just and the worse end of the scale :-) I have it registered and between my son and I we have done several thousand km on it. Still a few flat spots in the rev range - suspect it could do with new spark plugs (they are quite corroded on the outside as water pools around then if you get it wet) and probably also needs the carbs balanced.

2005 XVS 650 A

My wife wants to learn to ride but has bad arthritis in her knees - had to get her something comfy. I'm really enjoying cruising around on it as well. Great way to preserve my license - there is very little desire to go fast on it :-)

And for the, requested, group shot - here they are all crammed into my "rustic" shed

And here are some bikes that I've had recently enough to have photos of, but no longer own:

TT 350

Group of friends were going out on their dirt bikes a few times a month - thought it might be fun to join them so bought this:

YZ 450 F

Was really enjoying the dirt bike riding so decided to upgrade. I did not choose that sticker kit - came with the bike. Bought this brand new and loved it - sooo much power :)

GSX 1100 G

I worked as a bike courier back in the late '80s and I was crazy - rode way too fast etc. and ended up crashing the bike and losing the job. When I turned 40 I figured I was mature enough to try a road bike again so I got this beast. Roll-on like a freight train...

I even did a track day on it. I can't ride, but still enjoyed it.

Last edited by bsw on Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
My bikes:
  • '82 CB250RS - Cafe Racer project
  • '89 K100RT - Cafe Racer project
  • '95 XJ600 Seca II - Cafe Racer project
  • '98 GSX250F - Needs work to get on road
  • '05 XVS650A - Wife's
  • '07 VL250 Intruder - was cheap...

This topic has 4 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login