How fast do you go?

The general Seca II forum. XJ600 centric but all motorbikes welcome!
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region or State: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles Owned Currently: BMW R 1150 GS
Netherlands

Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:46 am

Looking back through this topic, I noticed that I have remarked that I had the XJ550 up to 100mph. That was a naked bike. On the Tiger, that is a different story. I've had that at 100mph with the cases on, driving through Germany. And without cases, I've had it up to 125mph without luggage. :)

Posbike
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: MN, USA
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1993 Xj600 Seca II & 2016 Yamaha FZ-07

Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:18 pm

I am usually in the 55-70 mph range on the highway. 35-40 is the fastest I've felt comfortable going on dirt/gravel roads
You can call me Al
93 Xj600 Seca II
16 Yamaha FZ 07
Minnesota, USA
Attended University of YouTube

AlecJ
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: South Africa
Motorcycles Owned Currently: yamaha FZS1000
South Africa

Tue May 02, 2017 3:34 am

Here no one sticks to the speed limit! not bikes nor cages town has a 60kph speed but the people go 80-100, highway is 120kph but people drive 140ish

Here the people drive their bikes either with no numberplates or very small plates going 180 to 250kph.

With my xj I do 20kph faster than moving cars in town and on highway I do 140kph fastest I have gone on it was 192kph, we have almost no bends here so opening u is the way to stay awake :oops:
I ride solo

bsw
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: NSW, Australia
Motorcycles Owned Currently: A collection of old ones...

Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:42 pm

I'm getting old and tend to stick to the speed limits, or the general flow of the traffic. Motorway here is 110km/h limit and sometimes cruise at up to 125 with traffic.

I do like speed though and am surprised be the speeds some people are posting here - mine must be sick. On the few occasions I've "given here a bit" she seems to top out around 170km/h. But that was before the new spark plugs - might be time for another blast :-)

Fastest I've been on a bike was 220km/h - track day on my GSX1100G. Strange feeling being topped out at 220 down the main straight and having nice new sport bikes go by like you're sitting still...
My bikes:
  • '82 CB250RS - Cafe Racer project
  • '89 K100RT - Cafe Racer project
  • '95 XJ600 Seca II - Cafe Racer project
  • '98 GSX250F - Needs work to get on road
  • '05 XVS650A - Wife's
  • '07 VL250 Intruder - was cheap...

sleekitwan
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: yorkshire
Motorcycles Owned Currently: y2k Diversion 600 Naked

Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:25 pm

The Police will tell you that 'driving is a privilege not a right'. This is usually as they give you a half-hour of talking-down-to, in order to completely negate any advantage you got from speeding in the first place.

Having neither an armor-plated driving licence (armour-plated, chaps) nor large breasts to accidentally lean over and reveal, it's a risk like it is for most riders, to exceed the limit.

In the UK there is continually talk of perhaps enforcing the 70mph limit on motorways. They could just fit barriers either end of the M1 and close it up...!

I go above the limit in practice, hardly at all now. When I was maybe the lower side of 35 (the good side, those were the days...!) then it seemed REALLY REALLY important to be ramping up speed or hard braking every opportunity.

However, two kids and one call to the Police urging them to fit a speed camera later, I do not view this the same (it's a long story but involves kids having to outrun a car with one wheel off the ground while crossing a local road).

It will hit most people sooner or later, the speed limits are in fact, sensible. This is at odds with what many people seek in their time off, being let off the leash of rules and enjoying the diminishing freedoms we have left! I doubt that's a controversial statement?

The other big issue probably, determining factor, is whether you are riding on truly 'open roads' or like I am, often quite busy minor road networks. The advent of satnav has made it much more likely that somebody will emerge from that hitherto 'lonely junction' you keep passing. If they pull out, as we all know, the fact it's their fault is of little comfort. They flinch a bit in their cage as we impact, and we are introduced to involuntary gymnastics.

In general, I ride pretty gently in what many will say is too high a gear. I have 'bad habits' according to some Police trainers (do not assert myself enough on the highway) and sometimes do indeed open Rosie up and maybe less than a dozen times have got her to triple digits, in the 8 years or so I have owned her.

It's easily 80% of the time, I am at the limit plus 5%, the thickness of the needle, etc. Could be a bit more. However, it is based on safety and concern reasons, either for my licence or people in general or both. I actually seldom find these days, a conflict between myself and the speed limit, to any great extent. I do live in a densely populated area however, and do open Rosie up more, on bigger longer roads, and of course, Time Of Day matters a lot.

Incidentally, the Copper who urges 'assertion' while riding, my brother said he had a collision with a van one time. I said 'Was he er, asserting himself at the time by any chance?' Yes, he was said bro. You have to ride for yourself, and if I am still in one piece, it's not a terrible way I have been doing it?

Lastly, and you knew this was coming, this is not a forum and we are not people selecting bikes, who in general, desperately need or want to pile on the power. I mean, see my thread on 'Diversions through other people's visors', really, you'd at least be on a ZZR 600 Kawasaki, wouldn't you?! If we wanted to rip up the blacktop a lot, we'd probably be on different steeds and a different forum!

Never mind, women love a man with a slowhand, apparently, so the song goes!
Current bike year 2000 Yamaha XJ600N also called Seca II or Diversion 600. On an older bike air cooling is a blessing, no sludge and complexity of badly-maintained liquid cooling. Other bikes were: BMW K100 roadster; Honda VF750S Sabre with anti-dive.

mvk24
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: New York
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1992 yamaha xj600

Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:35 pm

Also here in NY on Long Island, My seca hasn't been pulling to hard (still working on perfection) but my buddy has a 94 XJ600 and he regularly gets that thing up to 135 on the highway. I pretty sure that's about where these thing top out.

Dr.mike
New to XJR
New to XJR
Region or State: England
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1996 Yamaha xj600

Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:06 am

The speed limit in the uk is 70 not in residential areas. I usually sit at around 90mph but there is a beautiful stretch of road on my way to work and I usually hit 110 115mph. I know the road well and there is I minimal amount of police presence in the area. I will always slow down in residential areas.
Rev high and lean low

Oddball
New to XJR
New to XJR
Region or State: California
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1996 Yamaha XJ600 (Seca II)

Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:45 pm

I once had a friend's V-Max up to 110 in - as I remember - third gear and scared the living daylights out of myself because it was still pulling hard and was almost all I could do to keep my hands on the handlebars. My '96 Seca II, though, only gets to a little below 90 before it runs out of steam. And I've only done that a handful of times when trying to keep up with buddies on bigger bikes. Am surprised people claim they can go faster. Mine had 2,900 original miles when I got it a few years ago and the bike runs like it was brand new. But 85-90mph is about it.

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects:

Predrag's Resto

Renegade's 93