How fast do you go?

The general Seca II forum. XJ600 centric but all motorbikes welcome!
SpeedRacerOnline
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Region:: Michigan
Motorcycles:: '92 & '93 Yamaha XJ600S, '74 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
United States of America

Wed May 11, 2016 8:50 pm

radare wrote:I'm one of the ones who putters along. I prefer to ride in the 45 to 55 mph range, depending on the road. I'm really not on the bike for speed; instead I ride for the experience. Slower speeds on better roads tends to enrich the experience.
Yeah, I'll clarify that it depends on the ride for me. I do love speed, but this ^^ is equally enjoyable. For instance, after a loooong exhausting stressful day today, I hopped on Ruby and went for around a 35 mile de-stress ride the loooong way home on a couple roads I've never traveled before (nothing worth reporting). That was a nice, slow, enjoy-the-scenery ride where I wasn't at all interested in speed.
"I want to drive. I want to feel all of it: freedom, wind, curves, feedback, acceleration, unsteadiness, fear, joy... I don't want to ride. I want to drive."
- Speed's XJ Journal
Newf84
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region:: Canada
Motorcycles:: 1992 Yamaha XJ600S Seca ll

Thu May 12, 2016 5:45 am

Lately I've been trying to stay off of the highways because I tend to ride to fast. So i have been trying to go up north and ride some country roads. I prefer the scenic routes but every now and then I just gotta go fast!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Casper
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Region:: Motor City (MI)
Motorcycles:: 1994 XJ600, 2006 SV650

Fri May 13, 2016 7:06 am

Bigfeet51 wrote:
radare wrote:I'm one of the ones who putters along. I prefer to ride in the 45 to 55 mph range, depending on the road. I'm really not on the bike for speed; instead I ride for the experience. Slower speeds on better roads tends to enrich the experience.
Do you stay in that range when taking those long distant rides?
The few times I have ridden with him the answer would be yes. (If time permits.)

The Seca Rally back in 2012(?) there were three or four of us in the slow group including him and I consistently.
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.
Jimbo
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region:: IL
Motorcycles:: 1994 Yamaha Seca II

Sat May 14, 2016 6:51 pm

I've had mine a few times in the plus 100 mph range on a deserted two lane with no obstructions on the sides (i.e. no cops or animals visible) just for for odd "thrill run" and to know what the bike can and still is capable of doing, but overall I just move along with traffic as almost all my riding is commuting. I did own a Honda CB1000F Hurricane awhile back that I got up to 140 mph once before backing off (it was still pulling hard at that speed too!). I think the top speed for that bike was 170 mph or so, but I never found that out.

I do like to hang it out in turns whenever possible though. I actually find executing a nice balanced leaned over turn much more gratifying than simply going fast in a straight line. You also don't have to really go that fast to experience it as well. I guess you could say I prefer to have small "chicken strips" on my tires. :) Has a greater reward to risk ratio.
Stan_Ac
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region:: Germany
Motorcycles:: Severall Yamaha XJ600S and 900S
Germany

Sun May 15, 2016 8:38 am

The generell speed limit outside the cities in Germany is 100 Kph ( 63 mph).

Normally I do ride at about 120 Kph . That is a 6000 rpm in 6th gear.

On motorway ( Autobahn) I do usually go up to 140kph ( 86 mph )

I rarely do the full speed up to 195 kph ( 120 mph) because it is not comfortable any more.

In the cities we do have a generall limit of 50 kph (30 mph ) and around schools, etc. 30 kph ( 18mph ).

Everything in Germany that is not faster than plus 20 kph on top of the limits is affordable. Only inside the cities that should only be 10kph on top.
Nothing is impossible...
nadaforumdork
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region:: Oregon
Motorcycles:: 1996 Yamaha SecaII

Sun May 15, 2016 1:14 pm

I ride and drive way to fast. But I truly enjoy moving fast, if I had the chance to start in to the racing world someday I would jump at the opportunity.
The speed limits here in Oregon are all mainly 55 and 65mph. I travel regularly at 70mph in cars. I do have my fair share of speeding tickets though and anytime my speedometer creeps up around 90 I hear my wife's voice saying "watch your speed" and I definitely feel myself trying to look at every car, over pass and hiding hole I can see way out in front of me to try and spot a traffic cop.
I agree with the folks that mentioned how taking the twisties and really using all of your tire in those turns gives an equal amount of dopamine rush to the body. I was also raised by my mother to appreciate mother nature in all of its beauty so the long country or mountain roads with the beautiful scenery also has a deep rooted place in me that I can always just look around and enjoy the ride or drive.
I only had the Seca up to around 80 the one and only time I got to ride it, but I'm sure knowing my personality when the bike is put back together I'm going to want to see how it will perform. Here in portland they have open track days where if you have the right gear and have watched the safety video, you can bring your car or bike out on the their international race way. I should start looking in to that now so I can find all the gear they will want me to wear on the track and will have a safer and legal place to push the limits of my speed addiction.

-nfd
96 Yamaha Seca II
Seca Guy
Region:: Reseda California
Motorcycles:: 1996 xj600 Seca II

Mon May 16, 2016 5:17 pm

Fast Enough to stay a safe distance ahead of the TRAFIC, since everyone on the road is out there to kill me.
4 Wheels drive your body, 2 Wheels drive your soul
cheverus1902
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region:: IN
Motorcycles:: 1992 Yamaha Seca II

Tue May 17, 2016 10:57 am

Bigfeet51 wrote:Can't remember who, but last year I read a comment by a member here on this site, and he stated that he"didn't ride fast". I've noticed that even when the opportunity comes for me to just flick my wrist and give her throttle....I DON'T DO IT :o. What I'm trying to say is that I've never had the urge to go over 75mph on my Seca. Reasons being, I ride my bike the way I would my car... with caution, I don't want any speeding tickets, 75 is the new 55/65 in New York and based on all the accidents that I read and see, 75 sounds about right for me ;) .

Questions
How fast have you gone with your Seca?
What's the speed limit in your area?
Do you find yourself always going over the speed limit?
I only do the speed limit. I have had slightly above 70 but not much more than that.
cafe_bill
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region:: Southern California
Motorcycles:: 92 XJ, 96 Buell, 07 FJR1300, 02, 95, 97 Sportsters

Fri May 20, 2016 1:42 pm

Back when my Seca and I were much younger, I recall seeing an indicated 125 on her speedo. Inaccurately optimistic, I'm sure... But the Seca can go fast very easily.

Fastest I've seen on all my bikes has been on the FJR; about 160. I'm not sure of the exact number because I didn't spend much time looking down at the speedometer. But I'll see 100+ on her most times I get on any sort of open highway (like PCH which is barely 10 minutes from me). 100mph happens barely into second gear.
Bill
'07 FJR 1300
'02 Sportster
'97 Sportster
'96 Buell S2
'89/'95 Sportster
'92 Seca II
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region:: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles:: Yamaha TT600 / BMW R 1150 GS
Netherlands

Sat May 21, 2016 12:53 am

I might have even had the XJ550 at 100mph on a road with a slightly different max speed. But I couldn't possibly comment on that. ;)

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us