How fast do you go?

General discussion for the XJ600, Seca II and Diversion.
Bigfeet51
Keeps up on the news!
Keeps up on the news!
Region or State: LONG ISLAND NY
Motorcycles Owned Currently: Yamaha Seca II 92

How fast do you go?

Post by Bigfeet51 » Tue May 10, 2016 9:29 pm

Can't remember who, but last year I read a comment by a member here on this site, and he stated that he"didn't ride fast". I've noticed that even when the opportunity comes for me to just flick my wrist and give her throttle....I DON'T DO IT :o. What I'm trying to say is that I've never had the urge to go over 75mph on my Seca. Reasons being, I ride my bike the way I would my car... with caution, I don't want any speeding tickets, 75 is the new 55/65 in New York and based on all the accidents that I read and see, 75 sounds about right for me ;) .

Questions
How fast have you gone with your Seca?
What's the speed limit in your area?
Do you find yourself always going over the speed limit?

kscountryboy
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Kansas, USA
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '94 SECA II, '89 XT 350 (in pieces)

Re: How fast do you go?

Post by kscountryboy » Wed May 11, 2016 4:52 am

Speed limit around here is 55 on 2 lane blacktops for the most part but we have a few that are 65. Interstate is 75 and if you don't go 10 over, 85, you'll be run over. So I've had mine to 85 just riding to work. And I'll admit I've also flicked the wrist before and think it did about 108 but can't remember for sure. I mainly love to ride her in the twisty back roads though. Never over 60 and side to side. That's fun for me!

Nelsonmd
FAQ Moderator
FAQ Moderator
Region or State: New England
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 92 XJ600S; 2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Post by Nelsonmd » Wed May 11, 2016 5:53 am

65 is the high limit in Mass, 55 around cities. Like other places, if you go the speed limit here, you will cause a traffic jam, and you'll cause people to have to change lanes alot to get around you ( not very safe...). After about 30-40k miles of commuting here in Mass, I have come to realize that obeying the rules of the road is not the safest guiding rule. The safest guiding rule is to be predictable (this goes for car or motorcycle). People expect you to go about 10 over here (you should see how fast the cops go... I got behind one doing 90 to a dunkin donuts, and it wasn't because the place got robbed...).

My top speed on the XJ was about 95 on an empty straight stretch. With my bike being fully naked I didn't care to go any faster, and I likely won't. The xj is much nicer on twisties at a comfortable speed.

I have heard from several cops that the safest speed for a motorcyclist is about 5mph faster than the flow of traffic. This makes sense to me from experience as you get fewer people coming up behind you that way, which is the worst visibility for us. It also keeps you from spending time in people's blind spots. I won't be surprised if I get pulled over eventually for this, but it definitely does feel a lot safer, and with the amazingly self-centered drivers here in Mass, I'll risk the ticket.
NelsonMD's 92 XJ600 Project Thread

M̶y̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶l̶o̶v̶e̶:̶ I don't love her so much anymore... NelsonMD's 4Runner Build Thread

New (primary) ride: 2002 Suzuki V-Strom 1000

SpeedRacerOnline
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Region or State: Michigan
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 & '93 Yamaha XJ600S, '74 Suzuki TS185 Sierra

Post by SpeedRacerOnline » Wed May 11, 2016 2:16 pm

I do like speed...a bit too much. That was the original reason I bought my first XJ. I knew what I'd do with a liter bike, so I limited myself to a 600 for my first sport bike. In all honesty, I do "flick the wrist" rather often, and totally twist it on occasion. I'm careful about where I do it, though. I've lived here my whole life, so I know these roads very well. It's a very rural area, and most Michigan roads are very flat and straight. The kind of roads that are really only good for going fast if you want to have any fun. I do prefer to flick through some curves and hills, but there just aren't any in most of the southern half of our state. If I do goose it for a bit, I do it only on roads I know well where there is a lot of visibility for danger, traffic...and cops, lol. If I come to an area where I can't see far enough ahead to feel comfortable, I slow right down. Generally, if I do that, I usually don't go over 100. Ruby cruises real comfortable up to 100. After that, the speed vs. stability gets a lot more noticeable.

That said, the fastest I've had an XJ is 119 mph with the yellow '94 that was my first XJ. I've never been able to get Ruby ('93) over 110 mph, and I haven't had the '92 on the road yet. I've never felt particularly scared at those speeds, but certainly extra cautious and aware.

In Michigan, the regular speed limit is 55 mph, and 70 mph on the freeway. Most people drive around 5 over in most places...

...except for I-75 between Detroit and Flint. That is the "Michigan Autobahn". Honestly, the average speed there most times is 85-90 mph, with people buzzing by obviously over 100 mph in the left lane frequently. I guess the reason the cops let it be that way is because it seems to work for some reason. There's rarely accidents in that stretch. People who drive there know what's expected of them, and do what they need to do, I guess. Still, I try my best to NOT drive through there on my motorcycle. Too crazy for me.

Most of the time, I do drive my bike a bit different than my truck. In my Suburban, I generally set the cruise at about 59 mph in a 55 mph zone. On Ruby, I usually cruise between 60-65 mph. It just feels like the right speed. Plus, it's enough to keep me in front of traffic, instead of behind waiting for something to happen.

Kids, I'm a bad example. Do as I say, not as I do. ;)
"I want to drive. I want to feel all of it: freedom, wind, curves, feedback, acceleration, unsteadiness, fear, joy... I don't want to ride. I want to drive."
- Speed's XJ Journal

Hadaveha
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: Alabama
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1992 xj600 s. 1984 Honda vt500c

Post by Hadaveha » Wed May 11, 2016 3:45 pm

I'm a max 60mph no matter what road

ammvio54
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: Dayton, Ohio
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1993 Yamaha Seca II

Post by ammvio54 » Wed May 11, 2016 3:55 pm

I generally drive with the speed of traffic; about 5 over the limit, which is probably about 40 or 50.

When I first got my XJ I opened it up on a back country road (my parents lived in the middle of no where) and got it up to 105mph, but I didn't like it very much.

There are some interstates near where I live now and the limit is 70. I generally stick to right around there--I'm not very comfortable going over that.

Bigfeet51
Keeps up on the news!
Keeps up on the news!

Post by Bigfeet51 » Wed May 11, 2016 5:36 pm

Hadaveha wrote:I'm a max 60mph no matter what road
Wow, 60 mph I'm shocked

Newf84
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Canada
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1992 Yamaha XJ600S Seca ll

Post by Newf84 » Wed May 11, 2016 7:36 pm

I've had my 92 up to about 160-165kph so that 100 mph but I don't do that often

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II

Post by radare » Wed May 11, 2016 8:41 pm

I'm one of the ones who putters along. I prefer to ride in the 45 to 55 mph range, depending on the road. I'm really not on the bike for speed; instead I ride for the experience. Slower speeds on better roads tends to enrich the experience.

Bigfeet51
Keeps up on the news!
Keeps up on the news!

Post by Bigfeet51 » Wed May 11, 2016 8:49 pm

radare wrote:I'm one of the ones who putters along. I prefer to ride in the 45 to 55 mph range, depending on the road. I'm really not on the bike for speed; instead I ride for the experience. Slower speeds on better roads tends to enrich the experience.
Do you stay in that range when taking those long distant rides?