First Wreck

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
fateddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Welp, today was the first day in about three months that there was little enough ice in front of my driveway that I could actually get out, so I decided to make a quick trip to get cat food. Made it there easy enough, turned around and came home. About 300 ft from my driveway, some grimy little turd neighbor kid decided to intentionally kick his stupid soccer ball right in front of me as I was riding past. I grabbed all the brakes and laid down pretty gracelessly. I was going pretty slow, so no damage to myself other than pride and a bruised knee. Luckily, I was wearing all the gear, minus kneepads inside my kevlar jeans.

The bike fared less well. Broken left front turn signal, broken clutch lever, rashed bar end, rashed timing cover, and broken mirror. When I turned it off and picked it up, the left-most spark plug (1?) wire was off and the contact was bent. I straightened it and tried to start it. Cranks, but doesn't run. No idea what's wrong, but I'll figure it out tomorrow maybe. Hopefully it's just a big fuel leak, as there was quite a bit on the road at point of impact.

I gave the kid a good shouting at and got him pretty scared. Later, I tracked him down at his house and spoke with his grandmother for a while, and then gave him another, much calmer lecture on his behavior. Though it's going to cost a bit to fix up my bike, I don't think I'll go after any money. Kids tend to be little a**holes, and I was one myself. I scared him bad enough, and I'm sure he's getting a certain amount of discipline at home now as well. I pointed out all the ways he could have killed me, killed someone else, or gotten himself killed by an out-of-control bike sliding across the road. Then I told him we were OK and shook his hand.

Fortunately, this was my first test of my new GoPro, so I got it all on video. I may upload it after I review it. I just worked through a whiskey and a beer, so I need to make sure there's nothing that makes me look like too much of an a**hole.
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

This topic has 18 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login