Radare's Triumph Bonneville

The general Seca II forum. XJ600 centric but all motorbikes welcome!
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:44 pm

Finally had some time this evening and installed the new tachometer that I'd gotten for the Bonneville. You'd be surprised how much you miss a tach when you don't have one.

Siper2
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Pennsylvania
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 Yamaha XJ600SF

Thu May 05, 2016 11:53 am

I definitely miss a tach when I ride my wife's bike, which is a Suzuki S40. If you think the Seca II is simple, that thing is a bicycle with a motor. :)

Nice work as usual, man.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Thu May 25, 2017 7:50 pm

Poor Bonnie hasn't been ridden in about a year, maybe right-at. So today I pulled her out of the garage and gave her a bath. Triumph sure does make some beautiful bikes.

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region or State: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles Owned Currently: BMW R 1150 GS
Netherlands

Fri May 26, 2017 12:14 am

Hasn't been ridden in a year? Hmmm, you have been keeping busy. ;)

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:00 am

Alright, guys. Time for an update. The triumph has been laid-up with a couple of problems that have made it a bear to ride:

The first, a nasty stumble off idle that would almost kill the bike. It would do this when starting from a stop or when downshifting into 2nd to take a corner. It was resolved last year with a new coil. You can read more about that troubleshooting process on TriumphRat.

The second, a surge/bucking when cruising at steady idle and lower RPM's. This one came with red-hot (glowing) headers and is the reason why the bike was out-of-commission last year. I didn't like the idea of cooking the exhaust valves. FINALLY, after ages of messing with it, I was able to resolve the issue by rejetting the pilot jets. The hurdle there is that I had to go two sizes up in pilot jets (from 40 to 45) on a stock bike at a mile in elevation. This was counter intuitive given my elevation and considering the stock jetting is #40. You can read more about that frustration on TriumphRat as well.

So here we are, mid August, and the Bonneville is finally running well. It's smooth, its fast, it idles well and it accelerates well. No more surging. No more bogging or stumbling. Two simple problems and a lot of frustration. I hope to get out this fall and put some good miles on it namely with a Utah trip and one to visit my dad's grave. More on those later. But enjoy a couple of pictures from the last week.

GAU-8
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Houston, Tx
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 97 seca II

Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:48 pm

Always impressed with your projects.. Love it.

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Netherlands

Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:51 am

Good to hear you got around to solving those issues. It is a shame to just have it sit around.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:01 am

Now that I have the lean running issue resolved (hopefully), I decided to turn my attention to the Triumph's pipes. Both exhaust pipes have extensive bluing and the length nearest the cylinder head has taken on a textured flat appearance.

Tonight I took on the task of polishing the exhaust headers. I removed them from the bike and started with 800 grit wet or dry sandpaper. This was sufficient grit to remove the bluing, the pitting, and Triumph's machine marks. I then worked in steadily lighter grits as follows 800 -> 1000 -> 1500 -> 2000. After 2k grit, I switched to a medium rubbing compound. Here's the results of about two hours worth of work. I left the right exhaust pipe unpolished (as removed), for comparison's sake.

There are a couple of spots that need more work on the inner-side of the pipe which I'll touch up. I'll give the other pipe the same treatment and then get these on the bike. I know they will continue to blue and wear once back in service but it's nice to reset them back to good condition every once in a while .

Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Helensburgh, Scotland
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1999 XJ600N
Great Britain

Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:37 am

That pipe looks brand new! Triumph do make some incredibly good looking bikes.

I used to use the TriumphRat forums, going back a few years (to when I thought I wanted a sports bike) I had a Triumph TT600 - a great looking and handling bike that (like all sports bikes) gave me nothing but wrist and hip ache
Nelsonmd wrote: My 4runner on the other hand... I decided she needed to be a girl only because I spent so much time underneath/inside her, I didn't want to think of her as a dude...

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Netherlands

Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:47 am

Wow... I've got a GS here that can use some polishing... Want to come over and ride some bikes after. ;)

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects:

Predrag's Resto

Renegade's 93