Radare's Triumph Bonneville

The general Seca II forum. XJ600 centric but all motorbikes welcome!
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region:: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles:: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:13 pm

arnehulstein wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:47 am
Wow... I've got a GS here that can use some polishing... Want to come over and ride some bikes after. ;)
If only I had a Passport
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region:: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles:: Yamaha TT600 / BMW R 1150 GS
Netherlands

Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:02 am

radare wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:13 pm
If only I had a Passport
Well, I think that is the easiest thing to arrange. ;)
webman94
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region:: arizona
Motorcycles:: 1997 Yamaha Seca II

Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:30 pm

Radare, do you have any updates on your Triumph? I was happy to hear you got some of the problems sorted out, but also concerned about the apparent lack of reliability in the Bonneville, especially as I've been thinking of getting one. Any updates would be appreciated, when you have time.
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:26 am

webman94 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:30 pm
Radare, do you have any updates on your Triumph? I was happy to hear you got some of the problems sorted out, but also concerned about the apparent lack of reliability in the Bonneville, especially as I've been thinking of getting one. Any updates would be appreciated, when you have time.
I did get it sorted. Had to replace the coils to resolve an electrical issue and upjet the carb pilots two sizes. Otherwise, it's been a good bike and I like having it.
webman94
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars

Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:35 pm

Thanks for the update. Have you ridden it two-up? If so, how is it? I've been thinking of getting one of these, but if it isn't decent with a passenger, it's out. My wife really likes the Seca II's accommodations better than any bike I've owned previously, and it will go down better if she enjoys the riding experience, too.

While your issues seemed to be related to the age of the bike and the leanness inherent in EPA emissions requirements, have you encountered any other issues, foibles, weird quirks, etc?
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:58 pm

webman94 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:35 pm
Thanks for the update. Have you ridden it two-up? If so, how is it? I've been thinking of getting one of these, but if it isn't decent with a passenger, it's out. My wife really likes the Seca II's accommodations better than any bike I've owned previously, and it will go down better if she enjoys the riding experience, too.

While your issues seemed to be related to the age of the bike and the leanness inherent in EPA emissions requirements, have you encountered any other issues, foibles, weird quirks, etc?
I haven't ridden it two-up but I don't see why it wouldn't do well. Its quite a bit heavier than the Seca II and has a low seat height. The engine makes really good torque. The bike is a bit top-heavy at slow speeds, though. But given those other traits, I think it'd handle a passenger well.

There are some design quirks that get irritating sometimes. The ignition switch is on the left headlamp bracket and I find I routinely forget to take my key out. The seat doesn't have a quick release; to remove it, you have to use a hex-key and it takes a bit of effort. Not designed to really store your registration under. The basic model doesn't have a tach and tach-kits are expensive. Oh, and the fuel cap isn't locking. Its just a screw-on type cap.

There are some non-age-related problems, at least on mine: I did find some rust on the underside of mine on the swingarm. I cleaned it up with a wire brush, phosphoric acid and some touch-up paint. But this bike came from south Texas which doesn't get snow and no road salt. So if you live somewhere where things rust, check that out. The exhaust bolts that bolt the pipe to the head, rust. Count on replacing them with a stainless version (not a difficult project). Triumph coated the tanks and the coating fails around the filler neck. Its easy to stop by cutting it out with a razor blade but irritating when it first happens. The tach will hang at 4k when reving and then come back on about 5k. It seems to be a common problem. The pipes blue almost all the way down to the pegs. Triumph's SAI keeps them plenty hot, some glowing red when idling. it's also easy to fix with a deletion kit but you'll have to polish the pipes afterward (if that matters to you).

You really can't go wrong with one, though. They are generally well made, are beautiful to look at and the fit and finish is well done. They keep their value pretty well, there are lots of parts available for them, aftermarket wise, and they make generally good all-around bikes.
webman94
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars

Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:01 pm

Thanks for the detailed rundown, radare! This really helps.

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us