Radare's Triumph Bonneville

The general Seca II forum. XJ600 centric but all motorbikes welcome!
SpeedRacerOnline
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Region:: Michigan
Motorcycles:: '92 & '93 Yamaha XJ600S, '74 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
United States of America

Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:02 pm

radare wrote:But one thing I didn't feel from the Bonneville was soul. I hope that comes as I get it sorted out, ride it and become acustomed to it. It's a great bike. It's gorgeous, it's well made, its everything you think you want. But unlike my Seca II, I haven't found it's soul yet.
Mm mm. I know what you mean. That's exactly why I'm so in love with my mistress. Ruby's got body, spirit, and soul. I kind of hope you find a little soul in your Bonne...but part of me hopes you don't. Ruby's special to me like Herbie the Love Bug, and I like believing it's because our XJ's just have something special...some soul...that no other bike has.
"I want to drive. I want to feel all of it: freedom, wind, curves, feedback, acceleration, unsteadiness, fear, joy... I don't want to ride. I want to drive."
- Speed's XJ Journal
buckinghamjf68
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region:: UK
Motorcycles:: Honda XL 125CC, XJ6 diversion

Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:10 am

Great review and impressions of the bike..
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region:: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles:: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:35 am

I pulled the carbs off of the Bonneville late last night and gave them a cleaning while the family was in bed. They are Keihin CVK carbs (CVK36) and much easier to work on than the Seca II's carbs.

I also received a mess of parts that need to go onto the Bonnie. EBC front rotor and brake pads and the new Hella headlight.

Still waiting on an order of OE parts from BikeBandit including filters, plugs and misc parts. Hopefully that gets here soon.
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:15 pm

Put the carbs back on and the idle and rev-hanging have been solved, BUT I'm getting a surging at low-throttle cruising that I suspect is a lean-rich condition. When I had the carbs apart, I noticed that the slides were worn. Much more than you'd expect on a bike with 6k miles. So I went ahead and ordered new slides for the Bonnie. I'll put those in (when they come), and start the tuning process and see if I can sort this one out.
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:50 pm

It was a busy day today. I got up bright-and-early and started the day by replacing the headlamp.

I used a Hella H4 headlamp (P/N 1A6 002-395071) and it fit the Bonneville bucket perfectly and without any modification.

Here they are side by side (the stock lense is on the right):

And as fitted. I think it looks appropriate:

I then rode out to the smog test place and had the VIN verified. I waited in a small room for half-hour and then one of the smog testers came out and did the verification. I gave them $20 for a piece-of-paper with my VIN written on it.

I then took that VIN verification to my local DMV where I sat for an hour, like this:

Finally, my number was called. I gave the DMV $396 to register the Bonneville for the next year and left with plates. It's official; she's legal!

Once I had plates fitted, I rode up to K's house and parked in her open bay. There, I proceeded to install new front rotor and pads:

New rear pads:

The old pads were pretty much done:

And new bolts for the controls (originals were corroding):

I then celebrated the day's events with a wash and a wax:

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:31 pm

The M12 crush washers I was waiting on, came, so I finished the day by removing the Bonneville's SAI. This system injects fresh air into the exhaust and any un-burned hydrocarbons burn as they flow through the headers. Problem is, it introduces fresh air. When tuning with an O2 sensor, it screws up the readings, indicating that the bike is running too lean. So I've removed it to allow for tuning. I will be replacing it once the bike's jetting is correct.

JohnOfTheJungle
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region:: New York
Motorcycles:: 93 XJ600 Seca II

Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:00 am

That is a beautiful ride. Just please promise you won't forget about us because you're basically tha godfather and I am forever indebted to you and this community and I love you all
In a platonic oil and brake fluid kind of way!
JohnOfTheJungle
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region:: New York
Motorcycles:: 93 XJ600 Seca II

Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:01 am

Also I'll be in Denver and breck in 3 weeks and it would be honored to shake your hand and buy you a drink because you're the man
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:33 pm

I have been working on sorting out the bike, mechanically. It's low throttle performance and idle performance aren't up to par. So in addition to removing the SAI, today, I cleaned and gapped the plugs, balanced the carbs and adjusted the pilot screws. The bike is running better now, not perfect still, but better. I'm still getting a surging at low-throttle cruising that I suspect is a lean condition. I've ordered a size-up on the pilot jets to see if this remedies the problem some.

The bike also has what feels like a misfire right-off idle, that reveals itself when the bike is warm. Reading more on the problem, it seems that the pickup coil on these bikes isn't as reliable as those, say, on the Japanese models and that they often cause these symptoms. So I've ordered a replacement and will see if that corrects the problem.

I also have a large shipment of OE parts due in tomorrow. When they get here, I'll pull the carbs again, replace the parts that I ordered (enrichment, gaskets and float valves) along with the intake rubbers and inlet O-rings. We'll see if that improves the low-speed performance any.

Here are a couple of shots of the bike taken during today's test runs.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:18 pm

I spent the entire day working on reconditioning/restoring the clutch-side engine cover on the Bonneville. I removed the cover, sanded off all of the corrosion and original clear-coat, grained it with a Scotchbrite pad and then re-cleared it with Duplicolor's clear engine enamel. But seriously. It took 6 hours to recondition an engine cover . . . and I sanded off most of my fingerprints :???:

Fortunately for me, the other two engine covers are in fairly good shape and look like they just need a scuff and a coat of clear to have them looking new.

While I had the side cover off, I took the time to inspect the oil pump gears. They're plastic (Delrin?) and there have been some isolated cases where they've cracked. Mine were in good shape and didn't show any signs of damage.

I also changed the engine oil and air filter. I used a genuine Triumph filters for the air filter/oil filter and used Mobil1 10W40 fully synthetic motorcycle oil (same as I'd use on the XJ). Triumph recommends changing the oil every 6k miles (10k kilometers) which I think is ridiculous given how hot these engines run. I mean, it's an air-cooled, carbureted engine with a wet clutch and shared lubrication. So I'll be changing the oil at half that. Every 3k miles. And maybe less than that depending on conditions. This service was done at 7k so the next will be due at 10k.

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us