The Royal Enfield

The general Seca II forum. XJ600 centric but all motorbikes welcome!
MattP
Formerly spr1
Region:: Silesia
Motorcycles:: 1996 XJ 600 Diversion
Poland

Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:58 am

Great bike, great first ride and great report.
Looking forward to many more to come :)
'96 Seca II
Matt
TonyKZ1
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region:: Missouri, U.S.A.
Motorcycles:: 1997 Yamaha XJ600s Seca II
United States of America

Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:36 pm

Hey Radare, have you seen this Royal Enfield topic, among a few others I'm sure, on advrider.com?
1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Adventure Style Heated Grips, Barkbusters Blizzard Cold Weather Handguards, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page.
mikee112
User Administrator
User Administrator
Region:: UK
Motorcycles:: '99 Yamaha XJ 600n
Great Britain

Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:23 pm

Radare did you ever see the TV series "Our Guy in India"... a documentary featuring Guy Martin ( the motorcycle racer ) he bought a Royal Enfield and rode it across India, I think he even got the bike shipped back to the UK and still owns it
phpBB [video]
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region:: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles:: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:26 pm

mikee112 wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:23 pm
Radare did you ever see the TV series "Our Guy in India"... a documentary featuring Guy Martin ( the motorcycle racer ) he bought a Royal Enfield and rode it across India, I think he even got the bike shipped back to the UK and still owns it
phpBB [video]
I wasn't able to find it last time I went looking but it seems to be available now. I'm going to give them a watch. Thanks, Mikee.
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:32 pm

I had a bit of spare time yesterday afternoon and chose to use it on the Enfield. I wasn't much a fan of the smaller US spec headlight so I replaced it with a 7" version. I also removed the British flag decals that the previous owner installed (sorry, gents), buffed the weathered paint and gave it a coat of wax.

I then made a quick trip to the hardware store to get new fasteners for the exhaust shield. I took the long way home and introduced the Enfield to the Peak to Peak Highway. We made it to just about 9300' on the section near Ward Colorado.

One thing I really like about this bike is the sound of its exhaust. That surprises me, given that its a single, but with the long stroke, it sounds great. Give it alist:

phpBB [video]
fateddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Region:: North Colorado
Motorcycles:: 1996 XJ600N, 1991 Suzuki DR350
United States of America

Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:53 pm

One of the things that has got me excited about bikes again is not just a slow bike, it's a slow thumper.

Thumper supremacy.

Brap.
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:15 pm

fateddy wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:53 pm
One of the things that has got me excited about bikes again is not just a slow bike, it's a slow thumper.

Thumper supremacy.

Brap.
I think it might almost keep up with your 350.
jimmyxj6
New to XJR
New to XJR
Region:: Gold Coast QLD Australia
Motorcycles:: 92 xj600 seca,15 Ducati Monster821,2014 Enfield GT

Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:12 pm

Great to see Radare and what a road trip!
Glad you like the Enfield, I have a continental GT which I purchased new in 2014. I had been off 2 wheels for 30 years and it was the perfect machine for a born again biker to relearn the skills on. I still enjoy taking it up into the hills for a run and it turns heads wherever it's parked..
Generally a very reliable machine , there is a forum run by R.E. Fort Worth which will tell you everything you nee to know about it. A quick google will find it for you.
Enjoy, Jimmy
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:20 pm

Found this gem hidden inside a review giving me a laugh-out-loud moment. Best lines I've read so far!
The fact that Enfield never really bothered to modernize has also clearly struck a chord with the man-bun brigade, who find these classic lines as authentic and meaningful as anything they've ever created in the medium of milk foam.
Another, surprisingly accurate point.
Which brings up another point – don't take your Enfield on the freeway. It can do 100, maybe 115 or 120 km/h (62, 71 or 75 mph) if you wring its neck, but it's a cruel thing to do to it. The engine vibrations, which throb along pleasantly at backstreet speeds, become frenzied at high revs. Your hands become numb within minutes, with your feet soon to follow, and you're acutely aware that every bolt on the bike is desperately trying to escape the grip of its loc-tite and rattle itself loose. Just don't do it.
Actually, its a pretty funny review. Give it a read!

http://newatlas.com/2016-royal-enfield- ... iew/43717/
TonyKZ1
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region:: Missouri, U.S.A.
Motorcycles:: 1997 Yamaha XJ600s Seca II
United States of America

Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:14 pm

Ha, thanks for sharing, that's probably one of the better reviews I've read. He doesn't neglect talking about the warts or the power, sounds like he enjoyed riding the bike and that's what counts!
1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Adventure Style Heated Grips, Barkbusters Blizzard Cold Weather Handguards, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page.

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us