The Royal Enfield

The general Seca II forum. XJ600 centric but all motorbikes welcome!
TonyKZ1
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region:: Missouri, U.S.A.
Motorcycles:: 1997 Yamaha XJ600s Seca II
United States of America

Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:28 pm

Wow! Also looking forward to the ride report.
1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Adventure Style Heated Grips, Barkbusters Blizzard Cold Weather Handguards, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page.
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region:: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles:: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:09 pm

I talked my mom and sister into riding with me (okay, giving me a ride) up to Sturgis to pick up the Enfield. My daughter decided to come, too. It took us roughly 7 hours to get there from Denver. Not a bad drive. Not a great drive.

I stopped by the dealership at picked the bike about 3:30 this afternoon. The transaction was easy since I was paying cash; a few signatures on a title application and out the door we went.

I brought that little roll-bag I had in the garage with me. Surprisingly, it straps to the Enfield's rear rack like it was made for it.

It has both keys, the original tool kit is there and complete, and even comes with a manul. I suppose that shouldn't surprise me given that it is a 2017 model, but I've never had a bike with the original items still included:

The bike looks great in person, especially with the chrome and black paint shining in the sunshine. Overall quality seems good and it is in good shape, not perfect, but good. It could use a bath, a polish and wax, and a bit of touch-up.

The ride is fantastic. It's small, lightweight and nimble. The ergos are spot-on for me. The seat height is good, the bars in the right place, and the seating position upright.

The little engine thumps along and it has a nice exhaust note. Quiet at idle, a bit of grunt when you twist the throttle. In the 30 miles from the dealership to the hotel, I puttered along at 60mph down I-90. It is happy to cruise at 55 to 60mph. Ask it to do much more than 65 and the vibrations become quite pronounced. Don't even look for 70mph; it isn't there. And this is exactly what I wanted.

Tomorrow will bring 50 miles of black hills and 300 miles of Wyoming grasslands. I can't wait!
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region:: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles:: Yamaha TT600 / BMW R 1150 GS
Netherlands

Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:08 am

Nice Radare! I think it is a good thing that you have two places with garages now. ;)

Enjoy the ride!
Casper
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Region:: Motor City (MI)
Motorcycles:: 1994 XJ600, 2006 SV650

Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:11 am

Awesome!
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:47 am

As noted above, I bought a Royal Enfield in Sturgis. I didn't do too badly; $3250 for a 2017 model. It's not perfect (needs some cosmetic fixes and maintenance) but it runs well.

My sister drove us out there and we made good time. I don't think she knows what those white signs are with the numbers on them as she chose her speed. 6 1/2 hours from Boulder to Sturgis. For those outside the US who might be unfamiliar, here's the route:

We made it there with enough time to pick up the bike on Saturday afternoon which was good since they didn't open until 10 on Sunday. Here's the bike waiting for me at the Sturgis Indian Motorcycle dealership. I used that Prima bag that I bought a while back and it fit the Infield's rear rack well:

I rode the bike the 30 minutes up I-90 to the hotel, which was in Spearfish. That evening, I gave it a look over and lubed the chain. I didn't have the bike parked 15 minutes before an older gentleman came over to ask me about the restoration. "How long did that restoration take" he uttered as he came closer. "Actually, its a 2017 model" I told him as he looked it over. Later, a guy with two new Harleys popped in to check it out. He was in the middle of replacing batteries discharged by his Lo-jack devices.

Here we are, ready for the next day's ride:

The temporary tag they gave me is pretty cool. Its made of plastic and they include the dealership name on it. I'll probably save it and frame it for the garage wall:

These good people were my support crew. My sister, mom and daughter rode out with me. My mom wanted a Sturgis tee-shirt so we all bought one:

The first leg of the journey took me through the Black Hills of South Dakota:

This area was beautiful and felt much like the mountains of Colorado though more lush and much lower altitude. I had the road to myself and nowhere to be. The Enfield handles beautifully and the thump from its exhaust fits it well. We lazily tooled our way up through the mountains:

Yeah, this is awesome. Good running bike. Cool crisp weather. Open roads. And the sweet smell of pine trees and wild flowers. I'm happy!:

I noticed here that white wild flowers grow along waterways. They lay out like carpet and are quite fragrant. My attemps to capture them on film were less than stellar?:

The road awaited:

And the bike gleamed in the sunlight:

So on I rode. The peak extended to 6 1/2 thousand feet. Not much by Colorado standards. The little Enfield chugged right on up it:

On the way down, I had to stop for the obligatory Welcome To signs:

The Black Hills gave way to grasslands and I rode down into Newcastle, Wyoming, for gas and a snack. The Enfield managed 109 mpg on the first leg of the journey. From there, I headed south toward Lusk, Wyoming:

This section took me along US 85 with a 70mph speed limit. Now this is a good time to talk about the Enfield's speed. It has a 500cc single which is rated at 27hp and 31 ft-lbs of torque. Not much by modern standards. I read somewhere that its 0-60 was 12.4 seconds and that feels about right. It's not meant for speed. It will do 75mph but at the necessary RPM, the engine vibrations are so strong its not comfortable. I found it likes to cruise in the 55-60mph range, quite comfortably. With a 70MPH limit on 85, you get the tourists blowing through at 80, 85 or even 90-mph. I spent much of this section of US 85 being passed by cars, trucks, trailers, RV's and, I even think, a bicycle. Not my favorite leg of the journey but I still made the best of it.

Here we are roadside while I let some cars pass. The scenery has changed to red dirt and bluffs. It looks like New Mexico with more vegetation. Almost exactly like Tulsa.

As I continued along this stretch, the land became more dry and transitioned into grassland and prairie:

Here, the roads straightened out becoming the long, lonely stretches of highway you'd expect in the western United States. In that regard, Wyoming did not disappoint:

With the drier climate came heat. 80F, 85F, 90F. As the heat increased, so did my desire for water and shade. The Enfield didn't seem to notice but I did. Finally, somewhere near Lusk, I pulled of at a rest area and took a bit of a break. Did I mention it was hot?

I rolled into Torrington, tired, hot, with an aching back and an empty stomach. I filled up on on Arby's and topped the bike's tank up. This leg provided 78mpg which I attributed to wind, heat and a higher speed (62mph roughly).

The last leg of the journey took me through Cheyenne, down into Colorado and back home.

This stertch of the journey gave way to greener gasslands and must receive more moisture:

Just after Torrington, I pulled off to chase a gnat out of my helmet. The little bastard kept crawling inside my ear and it drove me crazy:

About an hour north of Cheyenne, I noticed a thunderstorm rolling in from the west. By the 30 mile mark, it was puring on Cheyenne and I was getting wet. Luckily, I was able to skirt the storm and missed the brunt of it. I was quite happy to make it to Cheyenne, though, and stopped for gas again. One the to note about the Enfield. It doesn't have a trip meter and it has a fuel pump. No reserve. So what you get is a low-fuel light. But that's not particularly helpful if it lights up 80 miles from a gas station. So I filled up the bike at each 100-mile mark (or so) just to be safe. I don't yet know its fuel range.

Finally, I made it to Colorado:

I was in the mood to be home and made the last 80 miles without stopping. I must say, Colorado sucks. Of all the drivers, they were the most difficult to deal with in Colorado. They tailgated impatiently. They didn't go around or pass when the road was clear. The cut back in front of me with only a few feet to spare, kicking up rocks from the back of their turbulent SUV's. They didn't use turn signals. I'm ashamed to admit I come from this state, from a driver's perspective and how they treat people with out-of-state license plates.

All in all, I'm glad to be home and I'm glad to have made the trip. I enjoyed the Enfield and its personality and I had a great time that I will remember fondly. Flying out and riding a strange bike a large distance is always a risk and I think that makes it more enjoyable. I love the challenge. Look forward to many more adventures on the Enfield.
cafe_bill
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region:: Southern California
Motorcycles:: 92 XJ, 96 Buell, 07 FJR1300, 02, 95, 97 Sportsters

Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:53 am

Sweet bike!

Just needs to loose about 25% of it's parts and it'll be beautiful...
(At least that's what I'd do to it... but that's just me...)
Bill
'07 FJR 1300
'02 Sportster
'97 Sportster
'96 Buell S2
'89/'95 Sportster
'92 Seca II
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:16 am

cafe_bill wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:53 am
Sweet bike!

Just needs to loose about 25% of it's parts and it'll be beautiful...
(At least that's what I'd do to it... but that's just me...)
It's working on it. Lost the bolts that hold the muffler heat shield on the ride out and then popped the rivets out of the boot guard. Fortunately it didn't fall off until I was about 10 minutes from home. But given enough time. It'll shake itself into a cafe bike or . . .
Seca Guy
Region:: Reseda California
Motorcycles:: 1996 xj600 Seca II

Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:55 am

We call them TT bikes ( Tavern To Tavern ). Finally made it home. 16,615 miles.
4 Wheels drive your body, 2 Wheels drive your soul
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:41 pm

Seca Guy wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:55 am
We call them TT bikes ( Tavern To Tavern ). Finally made it home. 16,615 miles.
Awesome. You know I want to see pictures!
XJLiverpool
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region:: Northwest, Liverpool, UK
Motorcycles:: 1992 Yamaha XJ600S (seca II)

Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:44 am

This was an absolute pleasure to read with the morning coffee :)
Bikes beautiful!

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us