The Royal Enfield

The general Seca II forum. XJ600 centric but all motorbikes welcome!
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:26 pm

Let's talk about the Royal Enfield 500. And of course, I mean the new one. Either the 2000+ model with the righthand shift or the 2010+ model with FI and no kick starter. Anyone have any experience with them, have read about them or just have a passing opinion?

Indian-made 500cc single. Based on a 50-year-old design. Not much speed, not-much rear brake, plenty of vibration. But a beautiful and timeless design. Why would I want one? The notion of getting back to riding for the sake of riding, for enjoying the back roads and avoiding the highway. For the experience, I suppose. What are your thoughts?

http://royalenfield.com/motorcycles/classic-500/

kscountryboy
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Kansas, USA
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '94 SECA II, '89 XT 350 (in pieces)

Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:38 pm

I met a guy who has a diesel version. Older, but still very cool. Never heard a bike like it. Gets about 110 mpg from it and rides everywhere. Not really what you asked about but thought I'd share...

TonyKZ1
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Missouri, U.S.A.
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1997 Yamaha XJ600s Seca II
United States of America

Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:51 am

Definitely a classic design. I've got a local BMW dealer who carries them or at least has some used ones if he's not a new dealer. There's one guy on the advrider forum that was searching for "the perfect bike for him" and eventually after much discussion he bought a brand new Royal Enfield. So we got to hear about the pluses and minuses and other things that he had to do after he got it. It was pretty interesting.
1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Adventure Style Heated Grips, Barkbusters Blizzard Cold Weather Handguards, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page.

fateddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Region or State: North Colorado
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1996 XJ600N, 1991 Suzuki DR350
United States of America

Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:14 am

The documentary Our Guy In India has Guy Martin riding around India on either this one or a similar model. As of now, that's about all I know about them.

I might add that it's a really fun show so far, and you get to play "What did Guy just say?"
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Jimbo
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: IL
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 Yamaha Seca II

Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:44 pm

Hey Radare,

Sounding like you've been bitten by the British bike bug. This thread and the other about the Triumph. Next you'll be asking about BSAs, Vincents and Nortons. ;) Alas, motorcycles are a disease that can not be cured...at least in our case, we don't look for the cure. Just something (more bikes) to deal with the symptoms. Ha! Ha!

Siper2
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Pennsylvania
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 Yamaha XJ600SF

Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:25 pm

I think they're fabulous. Owners use the term "quirky" more frequently than you'll hear it at a Saab convention, but it fits in the Royal's case.

You obviously have the wrenching ability, so if you have the garage space and the spare funds - I say go for it.

xjman
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Region or State: Thame nr Oxford UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1990 XJ600F

Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:33 pm

the exhaust sounds nice - i had a ride on a 350 when i was getting back into bikes about 6 yrs ago i suppose but the engine is noisy - like a can of bolts being shaken around which was offputting. The main thing is that they are so horribly expensive for what they are. I also had a ride on the cafe racer version which did feel good, the exhaust makes such a row that it drowns out the engine and it backfired which i was told is the way they are, again, steep price.
Bender: I support and oppose many things, but not strongly enough to pick up a pen.

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region or State: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles Owned Currently: BMW R 1150 GS
Netherlands

Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:26 am

That's the whole thing. They are horribly expensive here, but reasonably affordable in India. Didn't Guy buy his 500 for a thousand or so? Loved that series btw. Absolute must watch. Also to see a guy who is pretty down to earth for the achievements he has in motorcycle racing.
Would love to do that Enfield through the Himalayas thing. ;)

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:55 pm

So I went and did what is likely a really dumb thing. I bought one, sight unseen. A 2017 model with 2200 miles on the clock. It's out in Sturgis. My sister and mom are going to drive me out to get it and I'm going to ride it back to Denver. Paid $3400 out the door. It's a fuel injected chrome model with questionable reliability, a likely 55mph top-speed, and what I hope will rekindle a love of riding. More to come but for now, enjoy some dealership provided photos.

Casper
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Region or State: Motor City (MI)
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 XJ600, 2006 SV650

Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:10 pm

Woot!

Can't wait for the trip story.

Sturgis, Michigan? :)
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us