Paint removal tips?

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
laterider
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum, but I've posted a pic or two of my 1993 Seca II, and it's the bluish-green color. Well, at least the frame is. The plastics, tank, and front fender are just spray painted kind of a flat-black color. I'm planning on repainting it all, because that bluish-green color is fantastic! I noticed this week when I took off the fairing to do replace the ignition switch that whoever painted the fairing, painted over the decals on it, as they did the tank apparently. This made me think that the spray paint was just put on over the factory paint, and I would doubt it was even primed before that. I was wondering what you guys would recommend about trying to gently strip away the spray paint down to the original paint? I was thinking that maybe Yamaha, when they originally painted these things, possibly put on several coats, and if I was able to get down to the top coat, while I'd probably not do the clear coat any favors, I could possibly buff it up so it looks really good, then only have to apply a new clear coat.

your thoughts?

I know this sounds like a ton of work, especially as I have access to a bead-blasting cabinet, and all that, but I'm finding the proper Duplicolor paint to be pretty tough to find.

This topic has 21 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login