Seca II first bike

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
lepetitdiavol
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Good evening everyone!

Let me cut right to the chase. I got an extremely good deal on a Seca II. It's gonna be my first "official", if you will, motorcycle. Any opinions? Will the bike suit my needs?

I suppose this question requires me to give you a bit more info about myself, so here goes. I'm 28, I fancy myself a reasonable rider and I have absolutely no intention to "race" any motorcycle I get. A simple means of transportation that can cruise comfortably at highway speeds without buzzing, rattling and falling apart. Decent MPG would also be a welcome plus. Also, I need the bike to be able to carry a passenger comfortably considering I will be doing nearly 80% of my riding with my fiancee.

Now on to the bike in question. I can get it for VERY little money, it's got 22.000km on it, it's been well maintained and ridden very conservatively so far (owned by an older, very "restrained" gentleman. certainly not an adolescent racer) and seems to be in good condition - no visible scratches, not dents, no rust, no oil dripping from anywhere. The caveat is -or might be- that this last year it's just been sitting. Will that cause any problems? I suppose a carb cleaning and a general once-over would be in order if I decide to purchase it, so anything else apart from that?

Now as for my experience. I cannot say I'm a very experienced rider, I had been riding a honda steed 400 for some time but that was about 5-6 years ago and that is quite a long time, and I find myself needing to get comfortable on motorcycles once again. That is currently being taken care of, of course due to the fact that I'm getting my driver's licence. Still, I can't say I'm enjoying the experience since the school's bike is a 600 hornet and I have to say I absolutely, positively HATE that machine and all its 100hp! Very sensitive throttle and downright scary. Apart from that, though, I'm pretty much ok handling the weight etc., so I'm not really worried.

Some more details. I have to mention, as you might have gleaned from my rant above about the hornet, that I am not very fond of inline four engines. I utterly detest the "jump" they have once you hit a certain RPM range and most of them seem to have a kind of "manic" behaviour to them. An aggressive personality, to say the least. I can attest to the fact that it's the rider that decides how that power and attitude are put to use, but I just have to mention that I would much prefer a tame twin rather than a screaming I4. But I digress...

So, will the Seca II be a wise choice for me? Any opinions on the matter would be immensely appreciated and weighted carefully, considering your expertise and experience, which most likely far outweights my own! Many thanks in advance, for taking the time to read through my post.

Oh, and a picture of the bike.

This topic has 27 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login