My 2nd Seca (take a look)

The general Seca II forum. XJ600 centric but all motorbikes welcome!
Bigfeet51
Keeps up on the news!
Keeps up on the news!
Region:: LONG ISLAND NY
Motorcycles:: Yamaha Seca II 92
St Lucia

Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:57 pm

Radare, Thanks. I really just want to get her started.
ride92
XJOTM July 2013
XJOTM July 2013
Region:: Wisconsin
Motorcycles:: 1992 Yamaha Seca II

Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:14 pm

Is that your other Seca in the background there? The one with all the tarps bungeed to it? If so you might want to be cautious about those tarps trapping moisture under there. You don't what it trapped and have it start to rust. A bike cover is designed to vent the air but keep the rain and stuff off the bike.
Check out my build of "Project Sonar": viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3048

"'Having somebody help you doesn't mean you failed, it just means you're not in it alone."
SpeedRacerOnline
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Region:: Michigan
Motorcycles:: '92 & '93 Yamaha XJ600S, '74 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
United States of America

Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:33 am

- Nice find! Looks good, and does that say just 2,900 miles? Sweet!
Bigfeet51 wrote:Haven't had time to fully check the bike out, but every time I attempt to start it it doesn't turn over and I am hearing a blowing noise like a tube isn't connected after pressing the start button. Any advice?
- Maybe I'm taking the wording too literal, but when you say "it doesn't turn over" do you mean the starter is not cranking and therefore the engine is not rotating, or just that it won't fire? If it's not cranking over, then "a blowing noise" wouldn't be from the carbs sucking air. If the engine doesn't turn, the cylinders don't suck air in. In that case, are you sure it's an air sound you're hearing? If the starter doesn't turn, nothing physically should be happening, so whatever sound you're hearing is likely electrical. Could be a short somewhere, and if you're hearing it like that, find it quick before it starts a fire.

- If it is turning over, is the sound you hear a fairly high-pitched hissing? I'd agree with Detonation if that's the case. When I got my first one it wouldn't start and had that sound. Turned out the carb-to-air box boots had shrunk from drying out over the years and were not even connected, let alone sealed. That may have been letting it suck too much air I guess, because when I changed them and got them to seal it started right up with ease.
"I want to drive. I want to feel all of it: freedom, wind, curves, feedback, acceleration, unsteadiness, fear, joy... I don't want to ride. I want to drive."
- Speed's XJ Journal
Bigfeet51
Keeps up on the news!
Keeps up on the news!
St Lucia

Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:08 am

Guys, I created this video to show all of you how this Seca sounds. We have had bad weather on the east coast, so I haven't had time to really take anything apart. Listen and tell me what you think.

gallery/albums/userpics/10122/IMG_0097.MOV
SpeedRacerOnline
Region:: Michigan
Motorcycles:: '92 & '93 Yamaha XJ600S, '74 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
United States of America

Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:33 am

Ooh, I hate to say this, but that sounds like compression leak. Check your spark plugs; make sure they're all in correctly. If that's not the issue, a simple test to see where the leak is would be to spray the engine down with soapy water, crank it, and see where it makes bubbles; like looking for a tire leak. Check the plugs first, though.
"I want to drive. I want to feel all of it: freedom, wind, curves, feedback, acceleration, unsteadiness, fear, joy... I don't want to ride. I want to drive."
- Speed's XJ Journal
Bigfeet51
Keeps up on the news!
Keeps up on the news!
St Lucia

Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:38 pm

I came home today and attempted to start the bike again and to my surprise it started up :o . I noticed that the exhaust smoke wasn't flowing out one of the muffler.
Bigfeet51
Keeps up on the news!
Keeps up on the news!
St Lucia

Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:36 pm

Since I got her started I decided to check a few things out and look what I found

I went to to Autozone to get a new filter and I was told they don't sell motorcycle filters

Guys, where do I find one from?
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region:: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles:: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:44 pm

I've used Emgo filters consistently without trouble:

http://www.bikebandit.com/emgo-oem-styl ... r?m=137408

Otherwise, try your local Yamaha dealership . . . it's Yamaha P/N 4BR-14451-00-00. Be warned, it lists for $36 at Yamaha, though.
Bigfeet51
Keeps up on the news!
Keeps up on the news!
St Lucia

Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:47 pm

Thanks Radare, I thought I could just buy one from Autozone...lol
MisterX
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region:: Alabama
Motorcycles:: 1994 Yamaha Seca II

Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:49 pm

What the..?

:huh:
Full Circle wrote:She's a wee bit damp. Nothing that a quick warm up won't take care of.

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us