Why do you ride an XJ600?

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder

This question was posed in my Project Basket Case thread and I think it deserves it's own topic. I was asked why I had two XJ's, let alone three, when there are so many other bikes to chose from. Here's my response to that question. Now I'd like to hear yours!
radare wrote:I'd been thinking about my response to this question and I think Drapheus nailed the sentiment.

I have two rideable XJ's and I love them. Even though they are the same bike, they are completely different to ride. Sure, you twist the throttle and you know what you're going to get, but they ride differently, they handle differently and they feel different, like two different bikes.

There are so many reasons to love the XJ. They are the underdog of motorcycles, the red-headed step children, and highly overlooked. Sure, they're not packed with the latest flashy bodywork or the coolest technologies, but they're cheap to buy, cheap to insure, and a good platform to do with whatever you will. They're smooth, reliable, easy to work on, easy to repair, easy to modify. What more could a guy want?

I do not care what others think of the bikes I ride. I ride them for my own reasons. And for those reasons, the XJ is the perfect bike for me. I have three of them because I want to show others what a good bike it is and what can be done with it, that this "beginner bike" reputation isn't as well-deserved as some think it is.

I'm not saying that there aren't other bikes I want, or that I'd scoop up in a heartbeat if given the chance. What I am saying is that, for what I want, the XJ is perfect and the right choice. It's a passion that the bike fits well and I suppose not so easily captured in reason.

This topic has 41 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login