What did you do with your Seca II today?

The general Seca II forum. XJ600 centric but all motorbikes welcome!
Siper2
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region:: Pennsylvania
Motorcycles:: 1994 Yamaha XJ600SF

Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:34 pm

Just the basics! :thumbsup:

Last oil change was June 2015, I didn't do it last year since the bike was apart most of the year with the naked conversion. I'd only done about 900 miles since the last change, but with it sitting for a couple years without a whole lot of use at least, I figured I might as well. Wasn't particularly dirty, but ... enh, why not?

I also shot a quick video of the new Delkevic 18" cans. No header pipe, that'll come later. This is with the baffles OUT; I'm undecided on leaving them in or out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfdDh9a6guQ

While I was at it, the lawnmower felt left out. Heh! 12 oz. of 10W-30 in that, man that's like $2/year in engine insurance! Husqvarna HU700H if anyone's interested, with a Honda GCV160 engine.

SpeedRacerOnline
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Region:: Michigan
Motorcycles:: '92 & '93 Yamaha XJ600S, '74 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
United States of America

Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:23 pm

Seems I always post a day late, but yesterday I did some seasonal maintenance on Ruby (long overdue, I must admit). Cleaned and lubed the chain (including the gunk inside the front sprocket cover), adjusted the chain properly, dumped out the old gas (forgot Stabil in the fall; it wasn't too bad, but not too good either), filled her with fresh premium and some Seafoam, checked the K&N air filter, gave her a good once-over, then washed her gently to make her shine again.

She's looking good, and riding just as nice!

...Except today. Today it was cold and icky here, so she took a nap cozy under her cover while Bucky Burban took the kids to baseball.

The bad news was what I found in the gunk behind the front sprocket cover. Find those details here in "Speed's XJ Journal".

SPOILER ALERT:

You can also learn of the bad news in an update to "Experimental Parts"
"I want to drive. I want to feel all of it: freedom, wind, curves, feedback, acceleration, unsteadiness, fear, joy... I don't want to ride. I want to drive."
- Speed's XJ Journal
andrewed1
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region:: Sydney, Australia
Motorcycles:: XJ600 Seca II - 1992 & a 2nd 92 xj600s
Australia

Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:54 am

My engine is out for starter gear replacement which has been completed...

Today i removed and clean the cylinder head applied a new head gasket. Reassemble the head with all valves and springs. And the re set the timing..

Still need to check tje clearances and readjust.
Raypless
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region:: Ski Norway
Motorcycles:: Yamaha Diversion XJ600

Mon May 01, 2017 4:45 am

Dont have many tools yet since i moved recently to Norway so i did the only thing i could with the tool kit that comes with the bike; checking and cleaning the sparkplugs :lolno:

As soon as i get a good tool kit i will clean and sync carbs, check valves and all the other things i can find :thumbsup:
"Race the rain, raide the wind, chase the sunset"
hesatitagain
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region:: CALIFORNIA
Motorcycles:: 1993 Yamaha XJ 600 Seca II

Tue May 02, 2017 10:19 am

Siper2 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:34 pm
Just the basics! :thumbsup:

Last oil change was June 2015, I didn't do it last year since the bike was apart most of the year with the naked conversion. I'd only done about 900 miles since the last change, but with it sitting for a couple years without a whole lot of use at least, I figured I might as well. Wasn't particularly dirty, but ... enh, why not?

I also shot a quick video of the new Delkevic 18" cans. No header pipe, that'll come later. This is with the baffles OUT; I'm undecided on leaving them in or out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfdDh9a6guQ

While I was at it, the lawnmower felt left out. Heh! 12 oz. of 10W-30 in that, man that's like $2/year in engine insurance! Husqvarna HU700H if anyone's interested, with a Honda GCV160 engine.

Looks and sounds good man
andrewed1
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region:: Sydney, Australia
Motorcycles:: XJ600 Seca II - 1992 & a 2nd 92 xj600s
Australia

Sun May 14, 2017 4:00 pm

Managed to do my valve clearances, I prefer cams out, as it s a lot less mucking about.. after a few fine tunes and moving shims, mine are now all siting in the middle of the spec range Happy camper..
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region:: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles:: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Sun May 21, 2017 9:02 am

Stared at it longingly. Thought about washing it. Then saw the Triumph. Did the same. What's the weather forecast today?!?
SpeedRacerOnline
Region:: Michigan
Motorcycles:: '92 & '93 Yamaha XJ600S, '74 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
United States of America

Sun May 21, 2017 8:48 pm

Friday: Repainted the exhaust from the other bike to swap on Ruby to pretty her up some more.
Saturday: Found that the old exhaust gaskets are definitely too old and used to reuse, so Ruby now sits with no exhaust until new gaskets come.
Sunday: After leaving the exhaust in a safe place outside waiting for new gaskets, came home to find rain...simple rain, had washed away some of the new paint! I'm not sure what went wrong there, but there are a couple of spots now that are just bare metal; paint is gone. I had the exhaust sandblasted clean, wiped down afterwards, and sprayed with Rustoleum Ultra High Heat in a professional paint booth (advantages of working as an educator). It says not to use primer, so I was really surprised that the paint just plain didn't stick in some spots. I'll take it back to work tomorrow and see what the Auto Body instructor thinks went wrong...and try again.
"I want to drive. I want to feel all of it: freedom, wind, curves, feedback, acceleration, unsteadiness, fear, joy... I don't want to ride. I want to drive."
- Speed's XJ Journal
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region:: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles:: Yamaha TT600 / BMW R 1150 GS
Netherlands

Mon May 22, 2017 1:41 am

radare wrote:
Stared at it longingly. Thought about washing it. Then saw the Triumph. Did the same. What's the weather forecast today?!?
Hahahaha, you have just found out that all that biking is eating into your riding time. ;)
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region:: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles:: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Mon May 22, 2017 8:58 am

arnehulstein wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 1:41 am
radare wrote:
Hahahaha, you have just found out that all that biking is eating into your riding time. ;)
Man, ain't that the truth. And I enjoy both equally . . . :ponder:

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us