Naked XJs: Does your front feel light at interstate speeds?

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder

Those of you who have ditched the fairings and converted your Seca II to a naked bike; does the front end feel light at interstate speeds?

Mine gets twitchy the moment I ride above 65 mph. Wind buffeting from trucks and other large vehicles (or even cross winds) will excite a bit of wobble and I've had one agressive wobble while passing a semi at 80 mph. I find that if I sit forward in the seat and increase the weight on the front wheel, things stabilize a bit.

I have new headset bearings, properly torqued. I'm running a near-new tire up front and the wheel is balanced out (Statically) with two 1/4 ounce weights. The front wheel is true. I have not verified the condition of the font wheel bearings. I'm running 10Wt oil in the front fork.

I will be finishing the FZR front end conversion soon but I fear this will aggrevate the condition.

Any thoughts on the cause and a remedy? I've considered a steering stabilizer but I'm surprised I would need one.

This topic has 13 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login