What did you do with your Seca II today?

General discussion for the XJ600, Seca II and Diversion.
TonyKZ1
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Missouri, U.S.A.
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1997 Yamaha Seca II

Re: What did you do with your Seca II today?

Post by TonyKZ1 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:22 am

Sure, one from a Yamaha VStar 650 or one from a later model Diversion (FZ6R over here in the USA) works good, but you might need to upgrade the front forks too, to keep the suspension similar on both ends, ie. not too stiff/nor too soft on either end but matched.
1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Sports Style Heated Grips, Barkbusters Blizzard Cold Weather Handguards, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page.

sleekitwan
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: yorkshire
Motorcycles Owned Currently: y2k Diversion 600 Naked

Post by sleekitwan » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:11 am

Took receipt of spare set of front forks. Idea is to use these to uprate the soggy front end. I missed a turn in the Lake District here in England, and by sheer bad luck yanked on the front brake just as the tyre dropped into a rut in the blacktop.

The combined effect of squashing down and dropping into the rut made me realise the Hahpn springs fitted were doing not much.

I am not against Hagon as such, but two occasions now I have bought replacement fork springs, and they have no details stamped or etched on the spring, nor any rate data nor anything, not impressed!

So, will go for springs from a heavier bike probably, used, this time. Might make a fork compressing device too, the preload i find hard to overcome while threading the top nut back on properly. 15w fork oil i decided to try also, use the old 10w to flush with.
Current bike year 2000 Yamaha XJ600N also called Seca II or Diversion 600. On an older bike air cooling is a blessing, no sludge and complexity of badly-maintained liquid cooling. Other bikes were: BMW K100 roadster; Honda VF750S Sabre with anti-dive.

sleekitwan
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: yorkshire
Motorcycles Owned Currently: y2k Diversion 600 Naked

Post by sleekitwan » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:29 am

TonyKZ1 wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:08 pm
I installed a new Michelin Pilot Activ 130/70-18 rear tire this morning. I usually replace both of them at the same time, but the front tire still has some tread left on it and I'm trying to conserve funds, so I'll run it for another month or two and then replace it too.
Self same tyre i got this year, front BT 45 still ok but very few rears are the right combo of longevity, wear, grip, etc.

The pressures thing was pointed out elsewhere, i run F34 R40+ (depending pn load). Wrecked my old BT45 rear carcass-wise by using out of date pressures (F29 R33 psi .... ha ha) flexing and sun cracked those sidewalls to heckmback!
Current bike year 2000 Yamaha XJ600N also called Seca II or Diversion 600. On an older bike air cooling is a blessing, no sludge and complexity of badly-maintained liquid cooling. Other bikes were: BMW K100 roadster; Honda VF750S Sabre with anti-dive.

Raypless
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Ski Norway
Motorcycles Owned Currently: Yamaha Diversion XJ600

Post by Raypless » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:23 pm

I washed every reachable corner of it, waxed the paint and polished the levers, exhausts, foot pegs bars and chromes. Tomorrow starting to do some services, and as soon as i get what i need i will upload a polishing tutorial for aluminum and non ferric metals to make them look like mirrors
"Race the rain, raide the wind, chase the sunset"

Siper2
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Pennsylvania
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 Yamaha XJ600SF

Post by Siper2 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:42 pm

A couple of weeks ago I had a long list of maintenance items finally done! Most of which I could have done myself, however a friend (and riding buddy) owns a professional garage and gave me a very reasonable price on installing everything. It really wouldn't have been worth it for me to do myself, other than the learning experience - but I still would've needed to purchase tools AND have the time to do it all (which I don't).

Tires were starting to dry rot, front brake pads were thin, chain wasn't looking too great... so I decided to just do it all. Here's what I went with, all from Bike Bandit:

Kenda K671 tires (front and rear) - OEM size. These had good reviews and the price undercut some Michelins I'd been eyeing. For my use, they'll be just as good.

DID 520 X-ring chain. Silver, not gold - I figured gold might look a little weird on a yellow bike. :)

JT Sprockets 16-tooth front.

JT Sprockets 47-tooth rear. Went down one for a bit of highway pep.

EBC Semi-sintered brake pads (front and rear). I went with semi-sintered since they offer a bit of "the best of both worlds" with organic pads' initial bite, and sintered/performance pads' fade resistance. I took the same approach when I bought pads for my cars, usually going for a mid-option.
Besides, Ari Henning just uploaded a great video on brake pads so I had to take some sage wisdom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWtH5a-QDvE

Bikemaster front and rear brake rotors.

All said and done, there was an online coupon for a free bike cover, so hey that's cool. It's an XL though, much too large for the Seca II and I already have a cover, besides. My Dad owns a Fat Boy so I may give it to him when he visits me next. :thumbsup:

I had a brake fluid flush done as well.

---

So, how's everything work? Great, so far! Though the rear sprocket change isn't much, 47 vs. OEM 48, I do notice a difference and I like it. The tires are, well, much better - they aren't bald and rotting. :clap: ;) Brake feel is much better, obviously a combination of fresh fluid plus the new pads. My old rotors weren't too awful, but I opted to replace them since it was wisest to do so.

Had I more time on a weekly basis, I could've easily done it all except maybe the tires. That I could've done, it just would've taken some patience - plus tools. I don't own a front stand, so that would've needed to be purchased plus a good chain breaker as well. It's always time vs. money with maintenance, and this time it was a FAR better deal to "outsource." In the long term, yeah better to buy the stuff then I can do it all in the future. But I'll do that another day.

I need to wash and wax my poor bike, once I do that I'll upload some new shots. :thumbsup: