How to: Reupholster (Recover) the Seca II Seat

How-to's for the Seca II's cosmetics, including detailing, paint, bodywork, fairings and seat reupholstry
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder

How to: Reupholster (Recover) the Seca II Seat

I decided to break this out from my project thread so that it's easier to find and use and so that others can ask questions specifically about seat covers.

This is the process I used to recover the Seca II's seat. I used some marine grade vinyl I had laying around from another project and had to repair some foam damage.

Here's the seat foam as it came to me. Note the missing chunk:

And the vinyl I'm using. It's stamped marine grade on the backside. This makes it much more stable to water and UV light, making it a good choice for a motorcycle seat:

To fill in the missing piece, I needed some foam. I didn't have any left from my BMW seat but I did have an old bicycle seat to cut up:

To glue the patch in, I used 3M's Super 77. It's good stuff!:

I cut a piece of foam from the bicycle seat and fitted it. I glued it in and shaped it with a belt sander. Not too bad:

I then threw the vinyl in the dryer to warm it up a bit and began covering:

This was an iterative process of stapling, pulling, stretching and more stapling. I probably pulled and re-stapled a hundred staples to get the cover to fit:

Heres the cover, about the time I got a blister from the stapler. I thought this was good enough:

And the finished seat with the parcel strap added:

This is the same process I used on the '92's seat and it's held up great for two years now. I hope this one will last at least that long. Ultimately I'd like to get the cover used on the Diversion as I like the looks of it. But this'll do!

This topic has 1 reply

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login