How to: Install a Steering Damper

How-to's for the suspension, fork, rear shock and steering components
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder

As you all know, my '92 gets a bit squirly above 65 mph. It's not dangerously squirly but it can make me uneasy when passing a semi or other large vehicle with lots of turbulence. I have the FZR front end conversion slated for, well, soon, but I'd also like to fit a steering damper. I've been looking at the high-end dampers that Scotts makes which sit atop the triple but don't think I can make them work with my handlebar setup.

Here's what I'm thinking, to fit a damper on the cheap (to make sure it helps the problem):

Buy a used Suzuki SV1000 steering damper and fabricate a mount that bolts to the frame where the fairing stay used to mount. This would put the damper down near my lower triple and would hide it out of the way quite nicely. I'd then either weld a mount to my lower triple or install a 38mm steering damper fork clamp just below it. Here's the damper as installed on the SV1000 and the clamp idea. The last photo shows the clamp in use. What do you all think?

This topic has 43 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login