How to Replace the Rear Shock

How-to's for the suspension, fork, rear shock and steering components
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder

This how-to describes the process of replacing the rear shock. In this example, I am replacing a VStar650 shock with a newer FZ6R shock.

Tools Required:
  • 17mm box-end wrench
  • 19mm box-end wrench
  • 17mm socket
  • 6" 3/8-drive extension
  • 20-75 ft-lb torque wrench
  • Grease
  • Bottle jack
  • Jackstands
  • Rear swingarm stand
  • Philips screwdriver
  • 10mm socket
Amount of Time Needed:
This installation took me approximately one-hour from start to finish.

Estimated Cost:
The average cost for a used FZ6R shock (in the US) is $70.

Rear Shock Removal Procedure
In order to remove the rear shock, the bike must be raised and supported so that the weight is off of the swingarm. If you are luck enough to have a centerstand on your XJ, simply put the bike on the center stand. If not, here's how I raise and support the bike:

1. Begin by raising the bike and supporting it in an upright position using a swingarm stand:

2. Place a bottle jack beneath the centerstand support on the frame and lift the bike until its weight is just-off of the swingarm stand:

3. At this point, the bike will want to move from side to side. Support the bike from falling to either side using a pair of jack stands. I placed them beneath the engine guards. If you don't have engine guards, you can place the jack stands under the frame on each side, beneath the engine:

4. With the bike properly supported, remove the fuel tank. Begin by removing the selector knob with a phillips-head screwdriver:

5. Then remove the rear mount:

6. And the front mount:

7. Disconnect the fuel hose and the vacuum hose:

8. And lift the tank from the bike. Support the tank in an upright position and place it out of the way where it won't be tripped over or otherwise damaged:

9. With the tank removed, its time to remove the shock. Using a 17mm and 19mm box-end wrench, remove the upper mounting bolt:

10. Using a 17mm wrench and a 17mm socket with 6" extension, remove the lower mounting bolt:

11. Carefully pivot the shock and remove it from the righthand side of the bike:

Rear Shock Installation Procedure:
12. Here is a comparison between the FZ6R shock and the VStar650 shock. Note the thickness of the FZ6R coils:

13. Prepare the new shock for installation by greasing its lower pivot bushings. Simply remove the bushing and coat it with a light layer of grease:

15. Maneuver the shock into place and insert both the lower and upper bolts. Do not install the nuts until both bolts are in place:

16. Lubricate the flange and threads on the upper-nut and thread it into place. Tighten it hand tight.

17. Install the lower nut and tighten it hand-tight. The lower nut is a locking type nut and a ratched/wrench will be needed to get it to tighten up.

18. Using an 19mm wrench and a torque wrench with a 17mm socket, torque the upper mounting nut to 46 ft-lbs:

19. Using a 17mm wrench and a torque wrench with a 17mm socket, torque the lower mounting nut to 46 ft-lbs:

20. Your shock is now installed:

21. Reinstall the tank. Install the front mount:

22. And the rear mount:

23: Followed by the fuel hose, vacuum hose and lever:

24: Don't forget the tank rubber dampers (they always fall off my tank):

25. Remove the jack stands:

26. Lower the bottle jack until the bike is supported by the rear stand and remove the jack:

27. That's it, you're done. Stand back and admire a job-well-done:

This topic has 3 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login