Arne's road somewhat traveled...

Just about everything else.
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region or State: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles Owned Currently: BMW R 1150 GS

Arne's road somewhat traveled...

Post by arnehulstein » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:56 am

Ok, I thought I would just create a new thread to just dump whatever I am doing with motorcycles. This will be my generic thread that combines everything. Or most of it. Or at least some things. Just a thread to keep you guys slightly updated with all the stuff that is going on. I will still be updating the XJ550 thread as well, but this just makes it easier to dump whatever is going on. ;)

You all remember that I got my first first gen XJ600 right before I got my license:

Then I sold that and got myself a Honda Transalp:

That really got me more into motorcycling with its upright seating position etc.

A month or so in, I received an XJ550 as it was in someones way and I had -very little, but some- space in our garage. It has been a long journey, but it is slowly coming back together. Obviously, without blinkers, front fender or mirrors, I just had to take a picture of it next to a police bike. ;)

And then, at the end of the summer, I sold the Transalp as I really wanted to look for something a bit bigger with more power. It took a while before I could make a move on that and I am now slowly looking around to see what I can do.

I have a couple of requirements:
- Upright seating position
- Adventurous bike
- Nice to play with on the small roads
- Good for long road trips
- Able to venture off the beaten (or paved) track
- A bit more oomph than the old Alp

The downside is that I have a pretty tight budget. I would love to just run out and get a BMW 1100GS, but the budget doesn't stretch as far. I also appreciate Yamaha's XTZ750 Super Ténéré and Honda's XRV750 Africa Twin. Both sometimes turn up within reach, but are often over budget and even in the 1100GS range. :(

In the meantime I have ridden:
Aprilia Pegaso F650
Kawasaki KLE500
Suzuki DR650 (tuned to have 7hp more)

And I still have a Suzuki DR800 DRBIG on my list. I am interested to see what that is going to be like...

Casper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Region or State: Motor City (MI)
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 XJ600, 2006 SV650

Re: Arne's road somewhat traveled...

Post by Casper » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:10 am

I am in an Adventure group on facebook and the KTM 640 and 690 come across the board every once and while and are really tempting looking.

(You probably have seen the SV650 off road... but it has a twin that is more meant for it.) Have you looked at the DL650 as well? It has the same engine as my SV650 and suspension/ergonomics better suited for adventure riding.

You do have two heavily conflicting requirements...
1) Good for long road trips.
2) Adventurous Bike.

I have opted for the taking a street bike off road versus destroying an off road bike on 1000 mile trips on tarmac. (Everything I have seen says that thumpers are not very happy revving to the moon for hours travelling down the highway.)
ImageImageImage

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler

Post by arnehulstein » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:27 am

I actually talked to someone who was selling his 640 Adventure, but unfortunately he sold it right before I could get to it. :( That could have been a great bike to ride. However, when you say:
Casper wrote:You do have two heavily conflicting requirements...
1) Good for long road trips.
2) Adventurous Bike.
It gets even worse. I want to do it under 1000 Euro's. Which means the V-Strom is out as that usually costs 3000+ for almost any example. Honda's Africa Twin still does 2500 for a decent one, Yamaha's Super Tenere and BMW's 1100GS are around the same price. So, those are out as well.

That leaves bikes like Yamaha's TDM, but those are very road oriented and don't have the rugged look I like. Or bikes like the DR650, XT600, XR600 on the other end of the spectrum, but though they would make great adventurous bikes, they are not the nicest when highway riding due to very little protection and their build. I did 140 on that DR650, but I am not sure I would want to do that on a 500 mile trip.

Which, so far, really has been steering me towards the DR800. Obviously I have not ridden one yet. This is the hard part. But it seems to be a bike that is on par with the Africa Twin and Super Tenere, but with a single and weighing a bit less. In fact, the bike is bigger than my old Transalp and still is lighter. So that could potentially be an interesting option. I will ride at least one in the coming week or so. We'll see.
I have also heard that these bikes just take the highway in their stride. They are not racers, but apparently are quite content cruising at 80 miles an hour all day. And that is all that I need. More would be nice, but is not included in the budget at the moment.

Other suggestions for bikes to look at would be very welcome as well. But bear in mind that I do have a budget and even though you can sometimes find a Cagiva Elefant (Ducati engine), Super Tenere or Africa Twin (RD04) for around my budget, that really seldom is the case. (Same with the DR800, I just happened to run into an intetersting option...)

xjman
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Region or State: Thame nr Oxford UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1990 XJ600F

Post by xjman » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:29 am

my sister says that her hubby, my brother in law, has got a nearly new bmw gs 650 twin which he seems happy with although speaking to my nephew yesterday he thought it was bigger 850 maybe, i expect i will learn more in due course i can't find much on it but this looks good.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-revi ... 50gs/2008/

what with me being an old guy i thought maybe it would be a good idea to start saving for a less heavy bike,

the mt 07 immediately suggests itself, competively priced now so should be affordable in a few years hence

started comparing specs and saw the good things were it was 33kg loaded less than my first generation xj and

it has a 180 tyre on the back, the mpg and bhp is similar but not keen on the lack of centre stand and fairing

like the analog dials i've got as opposed to a digital display but don't like the 14 litre tank (20 litre on mine)

all in all i will probably leave it, trick to have small nimble aggressive looking bikes but big and comfy is for me.
Bender: I support and oppose many things, but not strongly enough to pick up a pen.

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler

Post by arnehulstein » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:18 am

I rode the F650's Italian sister, the Aprilia Pegaso F650, but I was not impressed. Performance was on par with the Transalp and I would like to, at least, feel like it is faster than the Transalp. I could go out and get myself a slightly newer Transalp, but I have already had that model.

My requirements for a bike are that it is at least slightly comfortable, so a full on enduro is not on the cards. Those saddles cannot really be sat on and they have no comfort at all. On the other hand, the XJ and its successors don't fit me as the seating position is leaning forward and I like to sit up straight and sit a bit higher to see over traffic. Bigger is more comfortable indeed and if cash allowed, I would be interested in acquiring a BMW 1100GS with ABS etc. Those are nice and comfy bikes that you can take offroad if you want to. However, they are about 3 times my budget for a nice one, so they are out. So are all the newer bikes. Even though there are quite a couple new bikes that I wouldn't mind riding. ;)

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler

Post by arnehulstein » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:05 pm

Ok, I have done it. I have bought a new bike. :)

I came across this Triumph Tiger 900 (1993 T400, first model, also known as a 'steamer'). I more or less bought it from the second owner. It isn't a complete 100% match, but it is a great bike to ride and I don't think there is a single bike that matches all my requirements. Anyway, the previous 82-year old owner bought the bike in 1994 and ran it ever since. At some point in time he rode the bike to Greece. He was a real enthusiastic motorcyclist. I got in contact with his son and bought the Tiger off him. I left the house early this morning and returned at the end of the day. Cold -it is around freezing around here-, but very happy. It is a great bike to ride.

Fueling up before the trip home

xjman
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Region or State: Thame nr Oxford UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1990 XJ600F

Post by xjman » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:24 pm

looks great - congratulations :)
Bender: I support and oppose many things, but not strongly enough to pick up a pen.

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler

Post by arnehulstein » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:19 pm

xjman wrote:looks great - congratulations :)
Thanks! :)

Casper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Region or State: Motor City (MI)
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 XJ600, 2006 SV650

Post by Casper » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:53 pm

I like it a lot.
ImageImageImage

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler