My 1992 Honda Transalp

Just about everything else.
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region or State: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles Owned Currently: BMW R 1150 GS
Netherlands

Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:41 pm

As promised, I was going to keep all of you updated about my new adventures. The XJ has gone to make room in my garage for the Honda Transalp. Why? Well, mainly because I really wanted an allroad motorbike with a nice straight up seating position. Why the Transalp? Well, I would have liked a BMW R1200GS Adventure, but that is way beyond my financial reach. And then I came across this Transalp and I was able to get it for a very nice price.

Enough words... Pictures!

And then there are the obvious posing pictures:

And yes, you can stand on it:

Obviously, the Transalp is not finished yet. I have just bought a couple of used tires. Mainly to change the rear tire as the previous owner seems to have only run the Transalp on a straight line. ;) The middle of the tire is flatter than the tires on my car. :) Anyway, I have a Pirelli on the way with 7mm on it for a couple of pence. A nice budget solution to a new tire. The next challenge is to get the rear wheel out, get the old tire off and mount the new tire. I would prefer to do that myself, even though I have never taken a wheel out of a bike before, nor balanced one. I have found plans to make a simple static balancing apparatus which I intend to build. But the first hurdle is to find a way to take the wheel out as the Transalp does not have a center stand as standard, which means that mine has not got one. So, I need to find a way to lift the bike to make it happen. Suggestions welcome. ;-)

MattP
Formerly spr1
Region or State: Silesia
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1996 XJ 600 Diversion
Poland

Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:05 pm

Great looking Transalp there :thumbsup:

My mate has got similar, and the riding position is so much nicer than on xj.
You have to be taller though to ride it comfortably.

He mentioned what a PITA it is without centerstand, and after half the season he bought something like this:
He used it only to lube the chain, so not sure if that would be sufficient for tyre removal :ponder:

I love the spoked wheels, and the different size of each wheel. Funky!
'96 Seca II
Matt

MisterX
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Alabama
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 Yamaha Seca II

Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:17 pm

Nice! That Transalp looks great! I know you'll have a great time on it. Even though my brother loves sporbikes, I don't think that he'd ever get rid of his all road bike.
spr1 wrote:He mentioned what a PITA it is without centerstand, and after half the season he bought something like this:
He used it only to lube the chain, so not sure if that would be sufficient for tyre removal :ponder:
The rear stand should be fine for removing the tire. I use mine all the time just for that. As long as the supports are properly aligned and stable, it will be fine.
Full Circle wrote:She's a wee bit damp. Nothing that a quick warm up won't take care of.

xjman
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Region or State: Thame nr Oxford UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1990 XJ600F

Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:24 pm

the bike suits you Arne :) :)
Bender: I support and oppose many things, but not strongly enough to pick up a pen.

1Oldman
XJ600 Master!
XJ600 Master!
Region or State: West Coast
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1993 Yamaha Seca II

Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:50 pm

As I said before, I'd love to have one but they never brought them over here. I did have it's baby brother tho;
Better to be over the hill than under it.

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region or State: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles Owned Currently: BMW R 1150 GS
Netherlands

Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:56 pm

Thanks for all the kind words. :) Honestly, I feel they made this bike especially for me. That is the way it fits my seating position.

I am looking at getting something like that paddock stand, or even a small bike lift. We'll see. I just need to bump into something at the right price.

MOzarkRider
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Region or State: Tucked in the Corner
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 92 Yamaha SecaII // 14KTM 200XCW

Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:35 pm

Sweet Looking Bike!!! I would suggest welding tabs to the lower frame where the Center stand would sit and buy a Centerstand off Ebay and make it work... This may take a little trial and error and research but the end result will be worth it!! :thumbsup:
"A life you don't live is still lost" Goo Goo Dolls
"Its not about the years of your life its about the life in your years" Abraham Lincon
92' Yamaha Seca II
14' KTM 200XC-W
Brian

Full Circle
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Region or State: Ontario, Canada
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 07 FZ6

Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:41 pm

That is a nice looking bike. Looks like it's in great shape too. I read a comment on the forum somewhere and whoever said it was right..."there's just something about white bikes"

:kudos:

Ad

SpeedRacerOnline
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Region or State: Michigan
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 & '93 Yamaha XJ600S, '74 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
United States of America

Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:02 pm

arnehulstein wrote:...the Transalp does not have a center stand as standard, which means that mine has not got one. So, I need to find a way to lift the bike to make it happen. Suggestions welcome. ;-)
Nice looking center stand for 115 Eur

"I want to drive. I want to feel all of it: freedom, wind, curves, feedback, acceleration, unsteadiness, fear, joy... I don't want to ride. I want to drive."
- Speed's XJ Journal

SwoleCole
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Oakland, MD
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 96 xj600

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:35 am

Full Circle wrote:That is a nice looking bike. Looks like it's in great shape too. I read a comment on the forum somewhere and whoever said it was right..."there's just something about white bikes"

:kudos:

Ad
:kudos: :kudos:
Loving the new bike!

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us