Carb Tuning with a Wideband O2 sensor

Homemade, custom and specialized tools that help make things easier
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder

I purchased an AEM UEGO gauge and Bosch sensor on EBay for $160. The AEM kit included the gauge, wideband sensor and wiring harness. Essentially everything needed to tune an XJ:

The wiring and sensor are very nicely done and all I had to do was solder on some terminals so I could hook it to the battery.

Here's the starting point for number 1. Rich.

And the finish point for number 1. Better.

So while trying to tune with the sensor, I was getting some odd swings on the #1 and #4 cylinders and the #3 has the pilot jet only about an 1/8 turn out. This tells me I need to go through the carbs before trying this again. I have plans to pull the carbs this weekend and give them a good old-fashioned and thorough soaking. I think two winters of not draining the fuel has taken it's toll on them.

Here's a short video of my attempts to understand and tune (filmed with my new Sony Cybershot camera). It follows cylinders 1 and 2's tuning (or attempt). Cylinders 3 and 4 were likewise, with similar results. We'll try again after a thorough cleaning. Stay tuned.

[youtube]dKArqdgih9U[/youtube]

This topic has 1 reply

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login