Bike stand

Gear, accessories, gadgets, etc that make your ride more enjoyable.
gonbssfshin
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Washington State
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1996 Yamaha xj600

Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:12 pm

Was wondering if any of you shop at harbor freight? They have a bike stand for $30. Does anyone think it's worth it?Image
What was I thinking!

SpeedRacerOnline
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Region or State: Michigan
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 & '93 Yamaha XJ600S, '74 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
United States of America

Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:40 am

Several of us shop HF from time to time. It's a pretty good place. You have to shop smart, but you can get some great deals. Their tools are cheap; some of them are junk, but some of them are just good deals. Things like a bike stand are simple enough that even a cheap one is unlikely to be a terrible failure. Their tools don't last as long as the good ones, but many of them can be replaced multiple times for less than the price of buying something from Snap-On, Matco, S-K, or the other high quality tool companies. Read reviews, and buy smart.
"I want to drive. I want to feel all of it: freedom, wind, curves, feedback, acceleration, unsteadiness, fear, joy... I don't want to ride. I want to drive."
- Speed's XJ Journal

Nelsonmd
FAQ Moderator
FAQ Moderator
Region or State: New England
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 92 XJ600S; 2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:35 am

Yeah, for Harbor Freight in general, you basically have to look at each product from the perspective of "where is this going to break and how will I fix it when it does?" because the one thing you know with Harbor freight, is that it will break...

That said, I have gotten some gems there too. They have a 3-jaw puller that is great (once you replace all the bolts and the link arms...). They have a great little brake bleeder kit with a vacuum pump, their seal driver kit is good, they have some good wood clamps, and I like some of their air tools, and their impact bits and sockets are great for the price, their presses are awesome, and I love that they periodically offer moving blankets for $3-4, and tarps, magnetized parts trays, and little flashlights for free.

For that stand, I'd suggest actually going into a store and looking at it. My guess is the steel is really poor and not as strong as you might think, and that it'll be pretty flimsy. I have the all aluminum low profile rear stand, and I rarely ever use it anymore. If you don't have spools on your swingarm, I don't think it's very convenient, and the rubber covered adapters will cut through the rubber immediately and scratch the hell out of your swingarm. Now I just use the center stand instead. If you can get a center stand for under $100, I'd just go that route. IT's way more convenient and works better.

Oh, and I forgot that love their motorcycle wheel balancing stand. It's not that great, but it does the trick and keeps me from having to blow a ton of money on tire changes. Paid itself off on the very first tire change.

Oh, another tip, go into the store and check the stand in the box before you buy it. A lot of items like this at HF are bent or broken out of the box. The wheel balancing stand is one of the worst for this. I had to sift through 2-3 before finding a straight one. The stands may be similar.
NelsonMD's 92 XJ600 Project Thread

M̶y̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶l̶o̶v̶e̶:̶ I don't love her so much anymore... NelsonMD's 4Runner Build Thread

New (primary) ride: 2002 Suzuki V-Strom 1000

gonbssfshin
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:10 am

Thanks for the replies, a HF just opened where I live. I've looked at there ads and I figure it was cheap for a reason, lower quality. It does have some good reviews. I may just have to go in to the store and check it out.
What was I thinking!

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:16 am

Make sure to buy the one you've pictured and not the low-profile aluminum one.

I had that one and even with the paddles, it was too short to lift the XJ's 18" rear wheel off the ground.

Jimbo
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: IL
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 Yamaha Seca II

Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:48 pm

Hey Gonbssfshin,

I actually bought that bike stand from HF early this year. It works quite well and the price is hard to beat. :thumbsup:

SonnyB
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Georgia
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1992 Yamaha xj600 SECAII

Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:50 pm

Thanks to this thread I ended up buying me one of them today.Works fine right now hopefully it will last a while.

gonbssfshin
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:14 pm

I went to HF and they didn't have the one I wanted! So plan B! Spools, weld on tabs and that aluminum stand radare posted a pic of! I will post it on my build thread when it's done.
What was I thinking!

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:50 pm

gonbssfshin wrote:I went to HF and they didn't have the one I wanted! So plan B! Spools, weld on tabs and that aluminum stand radare posted a pic of! I will post it on my build thread when it's done.
I tried that aluminum stand, with paddles, and it wouldn't reach the XJ's swingarm. I had one for my SV650 and thought I'd use it for both bikes. You might have to build your own paddles for it too.

gonbssfshin
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:49 pm

radare wrote:
gonbssfshin wrote:I went to HF and they didn't have the one I wanted! So plan B! Spools, weld on tabs and that aluminum stand radare posted a pic of! I will post it on my build thread when it's done.
I tried that aluminum stand, with paddles, and it wouldn't reach the XJ's swingarm. I had one for my SV650 and thought I'd use it for both bikes. You might have to build your own paddles for it too.
Yeah I had it on the stand using the axle bolt and nut and it got me about a half an inch off the ground. I plan on swingarm spools. That will give me about 2-2 1/2 inches off the ground. That's with the fzr wheel and a 140/70-18 tire on the fzr swingarm. I will post some updates when it's all done and put back together.
What was I thinking!

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us