Bike stand

What makes your ride better? Gear, accessories, gadgets, etc that make your ride more enjoyable.
gonbssfshin
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Washington State
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1996 Yamaha xj600

Re: Bike stand

Post by gonbssfshin » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:05 pm

Success! Added spools to my swingarm and the aluminum stand gave me about 2 inches under the tire. That is with the wheel adjusted as far back as it will go.ImageImageImage
What was I thinking!

xjardin
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: ca
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 xj600sfc

Re: Bike stand

Post by xjardin » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:23 pm

gonbssfshin wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:12 pm
Was wondering if any of you shop at harbor freight? They have a bike stand for $30. Does anyone think it's worth it?Image
So I bought this stand a few weeks ago. It basically works, but there are some caveats. First of all I can confirm that the rubber coating was ripped within the first couple of uses. If you want to keep your swing arm looking pretty you might want to look for a better stand. That or get a tub of plastidip while you're there :lolno:

The main problem for me is the spacing between the mufflers and the support arms of the stand. I can only get the stand to fit at the very back of the swing arm where the mufflers are out of the way. In that position they are basically right over the nut and bolt for the rear wheel. It's awkward and it also prevents me from taking the rear wheel off or adjusting the chain while it's on the stand.

It is possible to position the lift slightly behind the bolt, but then it becomes very unstable.

For generally wrenching on the bike and oiling the chain it has been very useful though.
Youtube Certified Backyard Technician