Autokicker Tour Series tank bag.

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
gliderpilot
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars

Well, the tank bag arrived the other day...
http://www.autokicker.com/products/moto ... k-bag.html
I was going to go for the 'Revolve' tank bag from them (it looked perhaps more useful, with the seperate, zip-off top part, leaving a map/gps pocket on the tank) but liked the idea of all the pockets available for odds and ends in the 'Tour' bag.
What arrived can be seen: bag, four short elastic bungies, a couple of shoulder straps (it converts to a rucksack), rain cover and four magnets which slip into the ends of the flaps.
(I am not a fan of magnets, what with grit and **** getting picked up and rubbed nicely into the paintwork.)
The bag itself seems reasonable considering the price, just £40 over here. Quite cheap for its size (it can take a helmet when it's extended), it features three outside zip pockets, map holder (6 1/2 by 9 inches viewable area), and a few zip/velcro internal pockets too. Mounting rings are plastic but reasonably thick, they may be okay.
As you can see it's kinda big, especially in width, and the front magnet pockets tend to overlap the fairing. It might be okay on a naked bike. I stood on a stool and zoomed in for this shot so that you'd get a proper idea of the width. A standard shot would maybe have been too wide angled.
I wanted to mount it such that it would be solid and secure yet easy to lift off, or over, for access when fueling up. At the front you've a choice of a D-ring, or plastic clips and a strap.
On my bike I found the length of the strap was such that the clip ended up buried down around the headstock or frametubes. Bit of a pain to connect or adjust the strap like that so a solution I opted for (instead of bungie with hooks waiting to scratch the paintwork!), was a seperate short length of webbing and a quick release buckle.
The bungies didn't look all that brilliant when I tried to secure the rear.
Instead, having a pile of narrow webbing and assorted buckles to hand, I decided to mod. the thing with a couple of clips either side of bag and straps running to the frame (my mother did say being able to sew would be handy one day!)
'Perse', my lunatic dog (a lurcher) and walking hair-factory, decided to join me on the bed whilst I was busy stabbing my fingers with the needle... I love him to bits though.
Et Voila! As the irish say...
And with the quick release buckle at the front, it's easy to quickly lift the thing backwards to clear the gas cap...
Just got to reinforce the stitching, trim/seal the ends of the straps, and stick a bit of anti-slip matting on the underside. Here's hoping the thing does its job okay and doesn't make it a pain riding. I can get full lock but my arms are kinda close to the sides...I'll let you know!
I'm awaiting the set of 'Revolve' panniers and tail bag from the same manuf.
http://www.autokicker.com/products/moto ... g-set.html
At £87 they seem quite a bargain.
Needles and thread are at the ready... :)

This topic has 2 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login