Shaf International Short Racing Glove w/ Molded Knuckles

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
SpeedRacerOnline
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Buyin' the Goods, Online!

Shaf International Short Racing Glove w/ Molded Knuckles

- When we were on our vacation in Illinois, we stopped at the Tanger Outlets in Tuscola, IL. That's a nice place to take a driving break and do a little fun shopping. They even have a nice covered playground for the kids to stretch, too.

- Anyway, we went to Wilsons Leather to see if I could find a new fall/winter coat (everyday, not riding). Of course, the only things I could find in the price I wanted to pay were either faux leather or clearance-rack ugly. However, they were having a heck of a clearance sale on the whole store, and I did get a great deal on a pair of leather riding gloves. Here's a pic from their website:

Men's Shaf International Short Racing Glove w/ Molded Knuckles

- I've had them for just one week of riding so far, so I'm still developing my opinion. I bought them because: 1) They look really nice, 2) They were a great bargain at $26 (regular $70.00), 3) They offer great protection, and 4) They felt pretty darn comfortable.

- So far, I'm really glad I bought them. They are pretty comfortable, and they really do inspire confidence because they feel so protective. The leather is very soft and flexible, with "strain reliefs" in flex areas, like the knuckles.

- The fit is probably perfect. I say probably because my hands are generally right between L and XL, which means I can't get a XL, or the fingers will be too long and baggy, but a L is just a little too tight. These are right in that range. I got a L because I just can't stand extra hanging off the ends of the fingers. They are a little tough to put on and take off, but they feel good riding, and that's what really matters. It does make a difference, though, because I tend to not want to bother putting them on just to ride 2.5 miles to work and take them off again. It's probably no big deal, but if something did go wrong on my short commute one day, I wouldn't have that protection, so I try to force myself to put them on, anyway.

- That said, they really do feel great riding. They feel like they fit just right once they're on. Plus, the combination of them and my new Oury grips is just the right amount of soft and sticky. The palms have some patches of a different texture that help with grip and padding. The wrist uses a velcro strap to tighten, and has a nice bit of extra material that makes a perfect spot to grab it and pull it on.

- They breathe really well, too. I've worn them during 80F afternoons in the sun, today I came home in 58F after-rain coolness, and they felt great every time; not too hot, and not too much cool air blowing in. I don't think they'll be warm enough for 30F Michigan mornings in a month or so, but I have winter gloves for that. I'm just impressed that black leather gloves can feel so good on a hot summer day.

- The one real complaint I have about them is the stitching on the inside. At the end of the finger tips, the stitching is in just the right spot that it wedges right under my fingernails. It's not so much that it's painful, but it's uncomfortable. With a little wiggling, I can get my nails under it so it isn't a problem, but it's annoying to have to do every time.

- In the end, though, I'm still really happy with the purchase. The stitching and my weird sizing is annoying, but the great feel and confidence of protection when I'm riding makes those annoyances disappear in the first mile. I'd recommend them.

- If you're interested, I got an email from Wilsons that they are on sale again. They're currently $34.99, and I think they're doing free shipping right now, too. Click on one of the images, and grab a set while you can get them cheap!
"I want to drive. I want to feel all of it: freedom, wind, curves, feedback, acceleration, unsteadiness, fear, joy... I don't want to ride. I want to drive."
- Speed's XJ Journal