Gear Review-Rev'it, Olympia, Racer, Altimate, etc...

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
Full Circle
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

My turn...darn kids kept slowin me down!

First up, the boots.
Altimate Cruisers-made in canada. Light and comfortable, great for walking around in, decent leather thickness but not a lot of extra support or protection. They fit like an old pair of doc martins, rather than hikers. Did I mention "made in canada" ;) Paid $120

Next the jacket(s)
Olympia Airglide 3-This jacket does everything it's advertised to do. During my course, temps ranged from about 2 degrees Celsius all the way up to 6. Lots of reflective piping front and back. I was super toasty all day with this jacket on. As you'll see below, quilted liner, and rain layer all inside.
The cons, it's a short, highly tapered jacket. For some not a con, but I don't like the fit. When I'm riding with it on I feel like it creeps up too high on my back and the shoulders bunch up around my neck. Oh, and why have a cell phone pocket only big enough for an early style flip phone. Paid $150, gently used.
Rev'it Air Mesh Jacket-This is one amazingly cool and comfortable jacket. It flows air great on those hot days. They call it a european fit and I like it. Longer in the back, thinner across the shoulders and the armour is better than whats in the Olympia. I liked the feel of this one so much that when it's cooler I use the liner and rain layer from the Olympia. Now, it's the perfect 3 season jacket. My smartphone fits in the inside pocket too ;). Paid $80 slightly used.

Rev'it Enterprise Pants-They fit me perfect and are very comfortable. They're waterproof, or at least very water resistant and they still breath pretty well. I usually wear jeans to work under these for the commute in, and back home. I've yet to be too hot wearing them. Lots of pockets that I've never used. Two drawbacks, the first, you can't pull them over boots, at least I can't. Thinking I may get a zipper retrofitted during the off season. The second, there's no fly zipper which means when nature calls, it's reaf 'em down and lean over real well :o . Paid $100, used but never worn.

Bristol cold weather motorcycle gloves. These are great cold weather gloves, 3m thinsulate. Used these for my course as well and in the morning commutes early spring and late fall. Some padding in case of an off and they really aren't too bulky, no issues with the bike controls. Paid $50 at a gear liquidation sale.

ImageImage
Racer Guide gloves-can't say enough about these gloves. I've never been a fan of huge carbon fibre knuckles so when I came across these, with the padding they have, perfect. Comfortable but a little stiff at the start, took about 3 good rides to break them in to my liking. I can actually strap and unstrap my lid with these on. Paid $110.

The Lid
Fly Racing Paradigm. I love this helmet, although I don't have a ton of bike helmets to compare it to. I had been using an older HJC sled helmet with a summer shield. This helmet is light, lots of venting and minimal wind noise, and pretty nice graphics too. Took me a couple rides to get used to shifting again as I've always gone by sound...couldn't hear the bike nearly as much with this lid up top.
All the padding is removable for washing. I grabbed this helmet at the winter motorcycle show. On special for $150 taxes in.
...and yes, I picked up the mirror shield too...for an extra $35

This topic has 5 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login