Review your Gear, get a new XJR Keychain!

Gear, accessories, gadgets, etc that make your ride more enjoyable.
red450
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Midwest
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 93 XJ600

Wed May 27, 2015 5:20 am

Both of my helmets are well past the standard 5 year replacement recommendation. My M2R helmet got decommissioned after the 2015 Indy Mad Max Run and my Caberg V2 is now my backup helmet and will be modified for next year's run. Knowing I needed a new lid, I've been doing a lot of research on the net trying to find the best helmet for my penny tech budget. Thankfully, there is some merit to having a small head. I wear an XS in most brands and that size tends to be on clearance fairly often. However my small head and long oval head shape makes finding a proper fitting helmet difficult. Especially since a lot of manufacturers use the same larger shell for the smaller size helmets. Ever since reading Dexter Ford's report, "Motorcycle Helmet Performance: Blowing the Lid Off" I've tried to find a helmet that fit the following criteria:

1. Multiple Shell Sizes
2. Polycarbonate Shell
3. Long Oval Fit
4. ECE Rated

Originally, the Icon Airmada Stack helmets caught my eye due to the dazzle camouflage style graphics. When I read the features, I was surprised to see it fit all of my criteria. Plus, most of the colors I liked were the previous style and on clearance. It's no secret I am a big fan of a lot of Icon's products. I have a pair of the first gen Super Duty Gloves that are pushing 10 years old now and they still get regular use. Plus, the ICON 1000 line is damn cool and basically what I would wear all the time if I could afford it. (I'm really hoping to pick up a Basehawk Jacket this year.)

I'm a die hard Revzilla shopper but I found an absolutely killer deal on the Hi Viz Yellow Stack in XS from Riders Discount. At $101, I couldn't pass it up.

I'm still not a fan of the white trim but it's tolerable and the pros greatly out weigh that little quirk.

The SENA SMH5 had to be mounted with the adhesive plate instead of the clamp due to the PVC neck collar. I peeled off the stock tape and used Gorilla Glue Mounting Tape.

Rear Shot

The shield features a metal pin that locks the visor closed. This makes it a bit more difficult to open but it's worth it.

The Airmada fits me better than any helmet I have ever tried on. The internal shape fits my head perfectly with no hot spots or pressure points. The small shell size makes the helmet feel tiny and feather light in comparison to my last two. While riding I get minimal head buffeting and the wind noise is very low. I think the PVC neck roll really helps cut down on the wind noise. The Icon Optics shield gives me a wider field of vision and is optically perfect with no distortion.

Venting is great and you can really fine tune how much air and were it goes by using different combinations of the four different sets of vents (upper, brow line, under nose and two on each side of your chin). I've ridden at commuting and highway speed, the venting was great at both.

The only thing I don't like (besides the white trim) is the texture of the HydraDry liner material, it's a bit rough. This might smooth out over time but it's a small price to pay for a wicking liner.
http://7plus8.blogspot.com
self sufficient slackers

GettingOld
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: SC
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 93 Seca II 91 Nighthawk

Fri May 29, 2015 6:49 am

You mentioned a PVC neck roll. Can you post a pic of that?
I noticed when I hunch my shoulders up to touch my helmet that the wind noise completely disappears. Was thinking about some sort of neck wrap/brace/roll to make. Never had the problem before, just the way the wind hits me with the Seca I guess.

red450
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Midwest
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 93 XJ600

Fri May 29, 2015 7:01 am

GettingOld wrote:You mentioned a PVC neck roll. Can you post a pic of that?
I noticed when I hunch my shoulders up to touch my helmet that the wind noise completely disappears. Was thinking about some sort of neck wrap/brace/roll to make. Never had the problem before, just the way the wind hits me with the Seca I guess.
The Airmada helmets are "race fit" and have a PVC collar at the bottom of the helmet. It's the white trim. Check out Revzilla's Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN5WPd5C028

Also check out the Windjammer: http://www.amazon.com/WINDJAMMER-REDUCE ... B003FHLNVK

I have the stock windscreen and the Airmada is much quieter than my previous helmets and the buffeting is gone too.
http://7plus8.blogspot.com
self sufficient slackers

GettingOld
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Fri May 29, 2015 10:50 am

Great info. Thanks!

kscountryboy
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Kansas, USA
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '94 SECA II, '89 XT 350 (in pieces)

Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:27 pm

Finally got around to building a rack, though it's not finished, to receive a top case. I settled on the givi b33 as it has enough room for my full face helmet and some other stuff.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kscountryboy
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:30 pm

Side view...

kscountryboy
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:31 pm

ImageImage

GettingOld
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:11 pm

Did you fabricate the rack from bar stock or is that chopped from another rack?

kscountryboy
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:20 pm

It's made from used stainless steel bar stock I had from a job at work. Not a perfect fit but turned out decent for the intended purpose. :)

SpeedRacerOnline
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Region or State: Michigan
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 & '93 Yamaha XJ600S, '74 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
United States of America

Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:03 pm

You did a great job with that rack! It looks very similar to the factory one. Color me impressed! :clap:
"I want to drive. I want to feel all of it: freedom, wind, curves, feedback, acceleration, unsteadiness, fear, joy... I don't want to ride. I want to drive."
- Speed's XJ Journal

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects:

Predrag's Resto