Common fairly simple modifications

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
xjman
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

wondering what you think of each of these common add ons (not involving any special technical ability) and whether you have any others:-

Rasied gearing - done this on my XJ600N, helps slightly but only one cog changed (the rear wheel)

Rebuilt seat - definitely a good idea in my case with a tad more padding being elderly :oops:

Screen added to my naked bike, like it, looks better too.

LED/Halogen - both bikes, anything to be more visible and see better

Rack and boxes - both bikes, definitely nice to have some storage

Mono shocker - each to their own on this I think, personally I like the soft ride with all our potholes here

larger/higher specification tyres - better grip/appearance is always beneficial

braded brake hoses - not something that I've done but sounds like a good mod to do.

bigger battery - sounds like a sensible idea but I have only heard about this and not done it myself :(

12v socket - good improvement, one I intend to make in due course (when I buy GPS)

heated grips - ditto, actually I'd really miss them now in our cold damp climate here mostly :cry:

hand protectors/shields - limited experience, my 'oven glove' mits are cumbersome

I haven't bothered with fancy exhaust cans/pipes myself but some do look and sound good :)

hugger- not done that myself - guess it stops stuff getting caught in the rear wheel and protects the spring :?:

knee grips on tank - something that I did on one of mine, I think it helps but it is a personal thing.

better mirrors - Taking IAM training necessitated improvements

a chain oiler would probably be a good idea although I haven't bothered yet

engine crash bars/bungs
- just in case the show tips over :shok:

tank cover (bagster) - got a tank bag not a cover myself

since posting I realize that this subject is similar to Re: Top 5 Must Have Mods?!

http://www.xjrider.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 748#p55748

I missed Re-jetting but that isn't something that is a common alteration in the UK

This thread is more about simplier changes rather than seroius swaps like replacement forks.
Bender: I support and oppose many things, but not strongly enough to pick up a pen.