Oxford heated grips

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
Mike400
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

The previous owner of my bike threw in a set of oxford heated grips with the sale which they hadn't got round to fitting.

The existing (standard) grips were starting to split so I decided to fit the oxfords yesterday. I didn't take any images showing the install :oops: in fact I only have one image showing where I mounted the controller:

The install was easy enough, I firstly removed the old grips and installed the new ones. Left hand side was quite tight so didn't need any glue.

The right hand side is a touch more involved, couple of points to consider:

1) Make sure there is enough wire free so the throttle can open fully without it catching

2) Don't use too much glue, I found this out the hard way - If you put tons on, then slide the grip up the bar, most of the glue ends up pushed under the throttle slide, and when it sets, your throttle doesn't turn!!
I had to take it all apart, clean it up and re-install using half as much glue this time.
problem here is it doesn't stick as well, and the throttle grip has got a bit loose. I might try more glue, failing that ill just lock wire the throttle grip....

Once the grips were on I mounted the controller to the mirror bracket using the bracket supplied with the kit. Not quite the neatest location but its easy accessed.

I plugged all the wiring together, hid it all behind the headlight and ran the feed wire to the battery. This came supplied with an inline fuse.
The problem here is the potential for draining the battery if left on, so at some point i'll wire in a switched relay to the ignition circuit somewhere...

I then switched it on. there are four power levels, 50, 60, 75 and 100%. on full power the grips are proper hot, too hot for ungloved hands, and the glue starts to melt!

I tried the system properly on a ride this morning and even the lowest setting was nice and toasty, I upped it to the second setting on the motorway due to windchill and it was just right.

temperatures here arent really low enough to justify using it just now so I will report back in winter

overall im pleased with it, and now I know it works ill put a bit more effort to tidying the install, as well as looking at something stronger for gluing the throttle grip - any ideas??

This topic has 5 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login