New Old Stock Helmets...worry about date???

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
Wh1skey6
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

My buddy bought a bike earlier this year and the dealership gave him a New Old Stock helmet with the bike...the infamous Shoei RF1000. The graphics are the Diabolic. It was new with tags, but had a manufacture date of 2005. He barely wore it during the summer since he preferred his skid lid. Now that its getting colder, he pulled it back out. The graphics aren't his style so he asked me if I'd trade for my helmet. I have a Bilt Sprint full face. Bilt is Cyclegear's in-house brand. The helmet has a MSRP of $180 but they discount them. A lot. I think I paid $70 for mine.

My buddy would never give me a helmet that he dropped or otherwise damaged. My only question is if I should worry about the shelf life of the helmet. They teach you in MSF that a helmet is good for one "crash" or 2 - 3 years...but I always wondered if that was a ploy to get us to buy more helmets.

Here's a pic of a similar Diabolic:

This topic has 3 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login