All About [GoPro]

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
Drapheus
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

This is going to be a thread all about the GoPro HD Hero and how I use it with motorcycling.

If you want specs, take a look at the GoPro site. However this thread will be focused more towards mount setups, sample vids and pictures, ect... And I will certainly be happy to answer any questions you have to the best of my abilities.

Questions previously asked:
1Oldman wrote:Where and how did you have your camera mounted for the ride? And how much recording time does that GoPro have?
It was mounted on the side of the tank using the suction cup it comes with, and it will record forever as long as you have battery! I think the battery it comes with will give you almost three hours of recording. There's a battery pack you can get that doubles it.

1Oldman wrote:Is the suction cup the same way it's mounted on a helmet and how awkward is that?
:lol: I've seen some people use the suction cup on their helmet and it is a little...obvious. However there are adhesive pads that the camera clips into. They're even more steady that the suction cup.

1Oldman wrote: How do you monitor what you're filming or know how to aim the camera?
The field of view of the camera is really wide at 170 degrees, so you can aim it in the general direction and usually be good to go lol. But I have an LCD screen attachment on the back of mine for when I do handheld "vlog" stuff or if I need to see how the shot is set up when the camera is mounted in a tricky place.

1Oldman wrote:How about a mic input? Can you mount it on your helmet and narrate the ride?
Unfortunately no mic input. The GoPro 2 that just came out has more features like a mic jack. However, I still stick the camera inside my helmet when I'm feeling chatty :)

MOzarkRider wrote:Drapheus, Can that camera take a series of stills while you are riding or is the only continuous footage the video part of it?
I like video and all but I would get more enjoyment out of pictures, so Id like a camera that I can mount on my helmet or bike that takes, say a picture every minute... I was thinking about mounting a camera hip pouch on the side of my tank with some double sided tape, or somewhere on the bike within quick reach.
Yes indeed, you can set it to take pictures every 1, 2, 5, 10, 30, and 60 seconds. Pretty sure it can do that while recording video as well.

Pictures taken every 5 seconds (I did this for three hours...do the math):

Mounting:

Here's a video back from August about how I do some of the mounting. Only about six months ago, but jeez a lot has happened since then. That was before I got the '95 lol.

Pics/video:

Of course you can YouTube a ton a videos to see how the GoPro performs, but here are a few things I've done with mine.

If you've got one, share! If you've got any questions, ask away!
'92 XJ600 - 50k | '95 XJ600 - 5k

This topic has 3 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login