Motorcycle camera differences

What makes your ride better? Gear, accessories, gadgets, etc that make your ride more enjoyable.
Nelsonmd
FAQ Moderator
FAQ Moderator
Region or State: New England
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 92 XJ600S; 2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Re: Motorcycle camera differences

Post by Nelsonmd » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:58 am

Here is his response.
The mounts for all of our cameras are designed to help you get the shot you want. They'll hold the camera in place while shooting, but they are not a guarantee against loss or damage of the camera. Customers are encouraged to check the camera's mounting prior to use and also take any additional precautions that are prudent for the situation.

For example, all of the our camera's have two mounting points located at the back of the camera rails near the door hinge for the supplied tethers to be attached to. If you are going to use the camera in an environment where the camera might get lost if it comes away from the mounting, tethering it to a solid location is a good idea.

Sincerely,
Brian E.
Contour Customer Support
I'm not really upset that they aren't going to replace it, that's fine since I didn't have it leashed (their included leash wouldn't ahve held it either, they are a tiny square of adhesive), but I would have liked him to acknowledge some concern over the embrittlement of the mount.
NelsonMD's 92 XJ600 Project Thread

M̶y̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶l̶o̶v̶e̶:̶ I don't love her so much anymore... NelsonMD's 4Runner Build Thread

New (primary) ride: 2002 Suzuki V-Strom 1000

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region or State: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles Owned Currently: BMW R 1150 GS

Post by arnehulstein » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:15 am

Agreed.

However, I do feel like they are not taking a very customer friendly approach to this. In honesty, this does feel like they are telling you off. You might have checked the mount before leaving, but they are assuming you didn't...
Actually, that whole last part about tethering it to a solid location, is that ever suggested in their manual? That would be interesting.

Anyway, judging by this response, I would say... Contour sucks. ;)

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler

Post by arnehulstein » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:23 am

Some of you might know that I have been using a Hitcase for my iPhone for a couple of years now and that it makes me really happy. Anyway, Hitcase has a black friday sale on. $50 off their iPhone cases...

SpeedRacerOnline
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Region or State: Michigan
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 & '93 Yamaha XJ600S, '74 Suzuki TS185 Sierra

Post by SpeedRacerOnline » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:02 pm

It's winter, so I won't get a chance to try it on my XJ yet, but I got a heck of a deal yesterday. A student sold me his barely used GoPro Hero for $40! He got it last Christmas, only used it a few times, and now needs the cash for something else more than the camera. Super-win! I'm anxious to use it snowmobiling this winter!
"I want to drive. I want to feel all of it: freedom, wind, curves, feedback, acceleration, unsteadiness, fear, joy... I don't want to ride. I want to drive."
- Speed's XJ Journal

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler

Post by arnehulstein » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:23 am

That is one AMAZING deal! Well done!

kscountryboy
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Kansas, USA
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '94 SECA II, '89 XT 350 (in pieces)

Post by kscountryboy » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:34 am

If you like the go pro style, I'll share this with you. I bought off Amazon.com this ANART SPC-01 W8 camera. It's HD, 1080p, WiFi and includes many accessories like waterproof case, handlebar mounts, helmet mounts etc. Cost me $65. I've used it on my bow deer hunting and it took good video. You can download an app that will allow you to operate it with your smartphone also. Maybe not as high quality as say go pro, but for the price you can't go wrong. Just go pro accessories would cost more than this camera with its box of accessories.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00XXBQX ... +spc-01+w8

markstephen
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Ohio
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 XJ600S

Post by markstephen » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:34 pm

That one looks like a rebranded SJ4000 WiFi. Not a bad price, and you get a lot of bang for the buck with the SJCAM. I've seen more than a few gopro users use these for their secondary cams, like for rear view of low frame mounted cams.

One of the more interesting ones I have seen is the Garman action cam that has built in GPS/inertia data logger. The drawback is that the SJCAM has better video quality, by more than a little. Also, for the price, you can get a SJCAM, GPS data loger, and use your smart phone for the inertia data and have the same thing for less and better quality, with only one extra step to sync it all up in video editing to get the cool map overlays with your speed/map/Gforce, etc..

There is also the TCL SVC400, which has real good video for the price and the feature set and capabilities are better than the SJCAM - http://www.ebay.com/itm/TCL-SVC400-Full ... Swo0JWGQ2p - and it doesn't make you look like a 2 wheeled google mobile when you have the thing mounted to your helmet. :)

Mark

Bigfeet51
Keeps up on the news!
Keeps up on the news!
Region or State: LONG ISLAND NY
Motorcycles Owned Currently: Yamaha Seca II 92

Post by Bigfeet51 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:08 pm

Best action cameras on the market — and they're not GoPros

http://www.businessinsider.com/best-act ... ves-2016-7

Nelsonmd
FAQ Moderator
FAQ Moderator
Region or State: New England
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 92 XJ600S; 2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Post by Nelsonmd » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:57 pm

I just picked up a new camera system for my daily commuter.

Reviewed here: Dash Cam - Front and Rear - Sykik
NelsonMD's 92 XJ600 Project Thread

M̶y̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶l̶o̶v̶e̶:̶ I don't love her so much anymore... NelsonMD's 4Runner Build Thread

New (primary) ride: 2002 Suzuki V-Strom 1000

Bigfeet51
Keeps up on the news!
Keeps up on the news!
Region or State: LONG ISLAND NY
Motorcycles Owned Currently: Yamaha Seca II 92

Post by Bigfeet51 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:47 am

I made a promise to myself to purchase a camera and to do more riding around the 5 boroughs on NY city this year. So I purchased a Stealth 2 Sports Action Camera by Drift. I haven't tried it out yet but once I do I will let you guys know how I feel about it.